2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2009 11:59 AM by Thebaumer59

Need Help Making a Database that...

Thebaumer59

Title

Need Help Making a Database that...

Hey, Im new to filemaker and im trying to make a database in which I can have several people put in information. I work for a company that has to make basically rosters of people based on specific locations and programs that they sign up for (they call us and we put them into a excel spreadsheet with the info, but we then have to combine all the excel spreadsheets and were looking for a way to just have the information all in one database). Right now I have a database set up with two different layouts. One set up so people can enter information about the participatns. Inclues First Name, Last Name, Phone Number, etc. From there it is linked to another layout which shows the neseccary information in a spreadsheet form. My questions are, is there anyway that i can have different spreadsheets based on the location or porgram the person is signing up for, or do I just use sort to look through one giant spreadsheet.

My main goal is to have a database so when we recieve a call for someone signing up for one of our programs, no matter which employee answers the phone they will all be able to put it into the same database. I want there to be a main screen to put in information and from there depending on the location and program it also moves the information to spreadsheet.

Also, ive noticed as you type information into the database it is basically peremantely entered unless you go back and change it. Is there a way to set it up so that you have to press enter or accept after typing the iformation in to make it permanent.

I know this is probably confusing, and like I said im very new to the program and I am still trying to figure it out. Any advice would be nice.  Thanks for the help.

• 1. Re: Need Help Making a Database that...
          obeechi

for committing data, create global fields, let these be in a layout that will pop up from your main layout, then upon commit, a script will move data from the pop up to the main layout -- you'll want your main layout fields to be non-enterable from/in browse mode. 

for multiple spreadsheet, let the data all be in one table with fields for location and program, then perform a find (via a script) that will search for a given location and program

• 2. Re: Need Help Making a Database that...
            Thebaumer59

The only part that im lost on, is what do you mean by having it pop up? Do I make two seperate layouts and have one popping out from the other??

Thanks again.