1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 1, 2008 11:55 PM by davidhead

Need help setting up auto-fill lookup

hoyeboye

Title

Need help setting up auto-fill lookup

I have a customer database that I am setting up. At the bottom of the customer page, I would like a table that lists information from appointments with the particular customer. The formula in my head goes like this:

If Customer:Fullname=Appointment:Fullname,

Then

Copy Appointment:Date to Customer:Date(On disp at bottom of Customer page)

Copy Appointment:TimeIn to Customer:TimeIn(On disp at bottom of Customer page)

Etc.

I am new to databases, so please try to use simple terms. Thanks.

Here are screenshots of the tables

Customer Table

Customer Table

Appointments Table

Appointments Table 

• 1. Re: Need help setting up auto-fill lookup
          davidhead

Hi hoyeboye

I see that you have used the People Management starter file to create your solution. In the original Employee table that you are now using as your Customer table, there was a field called Employee ID. This was defined as an auto-entered serial number. It is this (rather than the full name) that should be used as the customer identifier in a relationship to their appointments.

Therefore, your Appointment table should have an 'employer ID' field (or whatever you call it now), to act as a foreign key - the link back to the customer.

The relationship you create between the customer and appointment tables will be:

Customer::EmployeeID = Appointment::EmployeeID

This will enable you to create a portal and display appointments for each customer.

If in doubt, create another copy of the People Management file and have a look at the relationship between Employee and Goals.