5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2013 11:24 AM by jmageean

Need help setting up portal on a tab

jmageean

Title

Need help setting up portal on a tab

I am becoming frustrated with the mechanics of setting up a portal on a tab & need help.  I setup the relationship between two tables.  In layout mode using the parent table I made the portal including selected fields from the related table.  The portal was placed below the fields of the parent table and shows the selected fields of the ported table.  Next I move all the fields off the layout to the gray area to the right..  I then made tabs on the layout.  Checked out the tabs - working fine.  I then moved the parent fields onto primary tab.  Looks good.  I then go to the next tab for the portal.  I move the portal to the tab by clicking on the portal and dragging it onto the tab.  The portal is moving with its fields.  I place it on the tab and release the drag.  The portal is on the tab and shows the handles around the portal (the full size of the portal).  The fields are not showing now even though I saw them dragging with the portal.  So I click outside the portal to get out of the editing mode of the portal.  Now the portal disappears.  Where did it go?  No matter where I click I cannot find it.  I cannot even figure out if it still exist.

• 1. Re: Need help setting up portal on a tab
          philmodjunk

Could it be underneath the tab control? Did you click a blank area of the layout or did you click a panel of the tab control when you "clicked outside the portal"?

• 2. Re: Need help setting up portal on a tab
            philmodjunk

Also, try resizing your tab control to make it very large and see if the portal is in the tab panel but outside the current tab boundaries.

• 3. Re: Need help setting up portal on a tab
              jmageean

I don't recall now where I clicked when I clicked outside the portal because I didn't think that would matter.  When I drew back the tabs I can see the portal behind the tabs.  So I used the Arrange function to bring the portal to the front now.  But the portal is not on the tab.  In other words when I click on the tabs now the portal stays right there in the front no matter what tab I look at.

• 4. Re: Need help setting up portal on a tab
                philmodjunk

If the portal isn't fully within the tab control and you click the tab control while in layout mode, it might pop the tab control to the front and hide the portal.

Changing the stacking order via Arrange will not cause the tab control to "own" the portal. When it "owns" a layout object, that layout object will move when you drag the tab control around and this is needed to make your portal appear on the correct tab.

Drag the portal away from the tab control. Let go of the mouse button and then drag it back to the tab control, being careful to keep the portal boundaries well inside the tab control boundaries. Then release the mouse button and try moving the tab control a few pixels to confirm that the portal moves with the tab control.

Once you are sure that the tab control "owns" the portal, you can make final adjustments to its position and size to get it to look the way you want within the tab control.

• 5. Re: Need help setting up portal on a tab
                  jmageean

That did it.  Your answer was very helpful.  I was getting frustrated with learning the fine details for making things work.  Thanks again