3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2008 12:00 PM by hazelwize

NEED HELP w/ ONE VALUE LIST IN MULTIPLE FIELDS

hazelwize

Title

NEED HELP w/ ONE VALUE LIST IN MULTIPLE FIELDS

i have worked with FM 8.5 advanced at work for some time ... and i have a problem which has PLAGUED me for over a year ... i need to be able to access ONE short VALUE LIST in MULTIPLE fields in the same record ... for example, a landscaping company sells 12 types of trees ... i need to be able to allow the operator to select any one of these 12 trees in multiple fields ... i just cannot figure out how to set up the fields so that each field can have a different selection ... it seems like i have tried everything! ... i am so frustrated ... any solution to this problem would be greatly appreciated ... i only work on fm a couple times a year, so i always have to go back to square one ... forgive my ignorance if it shows too blatantly ... please help!

• 1. Re: NEED HELP w/ ONE VALUE LIST IN MULTIPLE FIELDS
          TSGal

hazelwize:

Thank you for your post.

You can definitely set up the same value list in different fields.

For this example, let's assume you have the following text fields:

Tree1

Tree2

Tree3

Tree4

On your layout, select the field "Tree1".  Pull down the Format menu and select "Field Control -> Setup..."  The default may be set to "Edit box", so change this to Pop-up Menu (or whatever you want), and display values from the value list you have already created.  Click OK, and then repeat the same steps for Tree2, Tree3 and Tree4 fields.

If you run into any difficulty, or if you need clarification, please let me know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: NEED HELP w/ ONE VALUE LIST IN MULTIPLE FIELDS
            raybaudi

Hi all

if I understood correctly, hazelwize needs to have each fied holding a REDUCED value list, based on the contents of all the other fields.

So, if the list has 12 values, choosed one, has to show only 11 values ... and so on.

This is possible and easy with a custom function that returns a list of values NOT assigned.

Give a look at:

http://www.briandunning.com/filemaker-custom-functions

• 3. Re: NEED HELP w/ ONE VALUE LIST IN MULTIPLE FIELDS
              hazelwize
                 thank you both for your replies! ... i have tried the first method of different fields ... that may work and perhaps better ... what i ended up doing is creating one value list with "custom values" (to keep the order of items) for each "area" where i needed the list ... then i created a "repeating" field of four (which is how many i needed) ... voila! ... this finally worked! ... each "repeat" accesses the value list and allows each one to have a different selection ... this is the critical thing i needed ... unfortunately, this solution will not help me in the future "build" of the file when i want to add the prices, sizes and other criteria to these selections ... which is why i was trying to make some "global" or "value list from field" work ... but this will have to do for now ... i am hoping that the conditional/hierarchal value list info will help when i am ready for that ... i know that a good database is all in the planning and believe me, if it was up to me, i would be able to create for and with the future ... anyway ... i haven't been able to check out the website yet, but will try to find what the second contributor gave me ... thank you!!!