1 Reply Latest reply on May 7, 2013 11:02 PM by philmodjunk

Need help with capturing records being modified

hyunyu

Title

Need help with capturing records being modified

Hello, I really hope if someone can give me how to solve my issue:

I have a filemaker pro server set up, and I need to be able to capture who made a change to what field from what value to what value, when someone is making a change.  I need to have this information e-mailed to me.  I know that I can use recordcommit script to e-mail when there is a record is committed, and I can use get(accountname) and get(timestamp), but i cannot figure out what functions to use to explain what the actual changes are.  would someone please help?

Thank you in advance!

• 1. Re: Need help with capturing records being modified
          philmodjunk

There is more than one approach to setting up an "audit trail" for tracking changes to a record.

One method is to duplicate the record each time the record is opened for editing. By comparing the duplicate with the current copy, you can see what data was changed.

Another method set's onObjectEnter triggers on each field to capture the original value of the field at the time the field was entered. If the OnObjectSave trigger is tripped, another script then logs the original value of the field into a field of a related record.

I have also heard of custom functions that can be used to log edits, but am unfamiliar with the details of that approach.