AnsweredAssumed Answered

Need help with Conditional Value Lists (I think.)

Question asked by DanielleCornelius on Jan 24, 2011
Latest reply on Mar 17, 2011 by philmodjunk

Title

Need help with Conditional Value Lists (I think.)

Hello FileMaker friends,

I used to be an Access/MSSQL database developer so I sort of know my way around databases. I've had to dust off my skills but I used to be a natural! :)

When I made the transition from PC to Mac I've been so happy with the general user-friendliness of Mac products.

With the exception of FileMaker. (I have version 10)

I am having a really hard time figuring out what seemed really simple in Access. This is making my brain melt because I haven't had this issue with any of the other migrations I've made. Usually Mac programs are by far more superior in the user-friendliness department.

So I'm hoping that this is a situation where the Mac version is just so much easier that it's going right past me.

I'm trying to create a very simple database with 2 tables.

1) CLIENTS
2) VISITS

Table 1 is names and identifying information for my clients.
Table 2 is detailed information about each one of their visits.

It's set up to be relational via a unique Client ID.

When a client comes in for a visit, I want to be able to:

- look up the client
- see a list of their most recent visits
- add a new visit record

This would have been super simple in Access but I've been stuck all day trying to figure it out. I think I am supposed to use a Conditional Value List and I set one up but I can't seem to be able to make it work the way I want, which is to select the name from a drop down and then see a list of related values from the VISITS table.

I know a Portal technically does this, but I don't want it in a table format like a portal does.

I just want the drop down at the top of my layout and I want the visit detail to be in a FORM format where I can tab through the various Visit records filtered by client and also easily add a record right there. When I'm with the client, I need to be able to scroll back through previous visits and also add the current one.

Am I missing something simple?

I am hoping you can either help me to figure this out or perhaps point me in the right direction or give me the right terms to use so I can continue my searching. So far I keep running into dead ends.

I know this is probably just my own learning curve and I really appreciate any help I can get.

Thank you so much!!

Danielle

Outcomes