AnsweredAssumed Answered

Need help with correct database design for a delicate problem

Question asked by DoruChiulan on Aug 9, 2014
Latest reply on Aug 12, 2014 by philmodjunk

Title

Need help with correct database design for a delicate problem

Hi

I think I have a problem in my database design, I am forced to use portal filters for TO's who would just need a Self-Relationship.

What I am trying to do:

I want to have a table Match where I can store matches between 2 football teams.

"Match" Table now looks like this:

__idPk                          _homeTeamIdFk                          _awayTeamIdFk                          _homeUserIdFk                          _awayUserIdFk                          goalsHome                          goalsAway

"User" Table:

id                          name

"Team" Table

id                          name

I also have a join table between "User' and "Match"

Ok, I can get easily all matches for a specific user.

Consider I want to show the wins for a specific User. I have to to a TO with self relationship to User_AllMatches, then I have to add a FILTER to the portal with sth like

(_homeUserIdFk = User::id and homeGoals > awayGoals) or (_awayUserIdFk = User::id and awayGoals > homeGoals)

Even more bad was when I wanted to count the number of wins for a specific user. I had to use a calculation field like this: 

ValueCount ( FilterValues ( List ( MatchHomeWins::_homeUserId ) ; __userIdPk ) )  +  ValueCount ( FilterValues ( List ( MatchAwayWins::_awayUserId) ; __userIdPk ) )

The problem described is not the only one, and consider when the application gets bigger, I am afraid I will get stuck somewhere and I will need to rethink everything. I also thought at keeping different match records for each user (one for userAway, one for userHome) but this looks even more wrong to me.

What would be your idea ?

Attached is a photo of the current diagram I use for User layout.

Screen_Shot_2014-08-10_at_2.47.18_AM.png

Outcomes