2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2009 10:58 AM by TSGal

Need Help with Field/Function properties etc.

nexxus2k4

Title

Need Help with Field/Function properties etc.

Alright, here's the problem. I'm using the contact management template. I have 40 records and I'm using one of the list layouts. I have a field in the standard layout labled "total amount invested." This field is a sum of each individuals various investments that they have made over time

Example: John Doe

Amt1: $75,000 Date: 9/1/09

Amt2: $25,000 Date: 9/2/09

Amt3: $25,000 Date: 9/3/09

Total_Amt_Invested: $125,000 (sum of three previous entries)

Susie Q

Amt1: $10,000 Date: 9/1/09

Amt2: $20,000 Date: 9/2/09

Amt3: $20,000 Date: 9/3/09

Total_Amt_Invested: $50,000 (sum of three previous entries)

Amt1, Amt2, Amt3 and the corresponding date entries are all individual individual fields. The Total_Amt_Invested field is a sum function of those Amt1 etc. fields.

Now on my list layout it looks like this

John Doe: $125,000

Susie Q: $50,000

Barbara Walters: $90,000

Herbert Hoover: $60,000

Where those amounts are the "Total_Amt_Invested" field for each person

Now what I want to do is this: At the bottom of this list I want a field that will sum up the "total_amt_invested" field from each record. So using the above numbers it should put out $325,000 (125k + 50k + 90k + 60k). Essentially adding up the total amount invested by each individual (each individual record) so I get a total amount invested between john, susie, barbara, and hoover.  I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do this. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance. 

-Michael 

• 1. Re: Need Help with Field/Function properties etc.
          philmodjunk
             A summary field with the "total of" option selected placed in the right part of your report will do this. Look up Summary fields in filemaker's help system to read up on how they work.
          • 2. Re: Need Help with Field/Function properties etc.
            TSGal

nexxus2k4:

Thank you for your post.

The answer provided by PhilModJunk is correct (Thank you!).  However, here is some additional information that may help.

In "Manage -> Database...", create a new field "TOTAL AMOUNT" that is a Summary field, and it is a Total of "Total_Amt_Invested".

On your layout, create a Sub-Summary section that is sorted by "Individual" field.  Place the "Individual" field in this section along with the newly created TOTAL AMOUNT Summary field.  When you sort by the "Individual" field, you will see the first list layout.

Below the Sub-Summary section, create a Grand Summary section.  In this section, also place the TOTAL AMOUNT Summary field.  This will then display a Grand Total for the entire found set.  Remove any Body section, and your output will look something like:

Barbara Walters  $90,000

Herbert Hoover   $60,000

John Doe          $125,000

Susie Q             $50,000

$325,000

Let me know if you need clarification for any of the above steps.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.