14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2014 1:15 PM by bobio01

Need help with header on FMP printouts please

bobio01

Title

Need help with header on FMP printouts please

I am a FMP neophyte that needs help with a simple printout question.  I reluctantly converted from Bento to FMP recently, and apologize for perhaps not using the correct terminology to ask this question.  All of my databases are very simple.  An example is one with two fields - name of vaccination and date administered.  When I print the converted database (Bento to FMP) out I get all of the data in the two fields, but no longer have printed the title/header (not sure of proper term) on the first page.  This simply reads "Immunizations-John Doe).  This title(?)  displays in the layout mode of FMP, but not in the Browse Mode from which I print.  Hence, I do not get the desired header/title printed in FMP as I did in Bento.  In FMP when I print I am in the Browse Mode with "View as Table" checked.  How do I add the desired header/title to the first page for the printout.  Thank you!

• 1. Re: Need help with header on FMP printouts please
          philmodjunk

An example is one with two fields - name of vaccination and date administered.

If this table only has fields for the name of the vaccination and the date administered, where do you put the data "John Doe"?

In FileMaker, this data would typically be put in a field of a related table as this data should be the same for every record shown in your table if you are putting it into the header of your layout. If you have your database set up that way, this data should be visible in the header of your layout (If you enable the header for table view in layout setup) whether you print or view it in Browse mode.

• 2. Re: Need help with header on FMP printouts please
            bobio01

Thank you.  I'll try to answer despite my ignorance of the correct terms.  First, I have not built a database in FMP, but simply migrated from the simple Bento to FMP.  In Bento everything just seemed to "happen" despite my lack of understanding.  For each table (i.e. immunizations, CDs, Photo equipment, etc), there is just one table, but no related tables.  (A relational database is way beyond my needs).  In Bento Table View showed and printed both the records, and, on the first page, the title/header (whatever it is called).  Upon transferring all of my data to FMP, however, I now get the following:

In Layout Mode the screen shows a header/title named "Immunizations Bob" at the top, and then a blank record with four fields - Date Created, Date Modified, Immunization, and Date Given.  If I print from this Layout Mode the printout gives me the header/title.   I have figured out how to not print the date created and date modified fields.  

However, when I switch to Browse Mode, which shows the records in the way I wish them to be printed (a table with just the name of the immunization and the date given), there is no header/title at the top saying "immunizations Bob".  And, when I print from this view, there is of course no title/header.  So, my problem is not knowing how to get that simple title/header to print at the top of the first page of any table I print out.   I will upload a screen capture of the FMP database that I want to print, and it will show that it lacks the title/header "Immunizations Bob".  Thanks for your patience!

• 3. Re: Need help with header on FMP printouts please
              bobio01

Since this system seems to allow only one file upload per message, here is a screen shot of how the data appears and prints in Bento.  This is what I want in FMP.  (I also included some of the sidebar from Bento.)

• 4. Re: Need help with header on FMP printouts please
                philmodjunk

(A relational database is way beyond my needs)

I disagree. What you describe in your first post is exactly what should be set up with related tables in a relational database. FileMaker Pro IS a relational database after all and it's designed to worked from that operational concept. That doesn't mean that the design of your database need be excessively complex, but FIleMaker IS a much more sophisticated system than Bento and requires that you invest more time in learning how to use the system and how to set up relational databases.

In Layout Mode the screen shows a header/title named "Immunizations Bob" at the top, and then a blank record with four fields - Date Created, Date Modified, Immunization, and Date Given.

What I see is a screen shot of a layout named "(Immunizations Bob) - List. This is a layout name, not a header and is not a practical way to associate the person receiving the vaccination with specific vaccination records. You need to match Vaccination records to a Patients table in a relationship to do that, then you can perform a find for vaccinations for a specific patient and then include fields from the related table in the header layout part (which is not currently visible in your screen shots) to show the name of the patient that received these vaccinations.

• 5. Re: Need help with header on FMP printouts please
                  WBSimon

Is your title in the "Title Header"?. If so, it will only show in the preview mode.

• 6. Re: Need help with header on FMP printouts please
                    bobio01

First let me attempt to answer W Brent Simon's question.  When I view the database in Layout Mode (photo below) the Immunizations Bob is set in a separate "block" able the four fields of date created, date modified, etc.  When I click on it I get a blue resize box indicator, but I don't know how to see if this is a "Title Header" or some other part.  I activated the Inspector, as shown, but it does not tell me what this box is.  It was magically created via the migration tool from Bento to FMP.

Thanks for helping.  I see I need to give some background.  First, as for the need for a relational database.  In my example there is NO patients table; there is just Bob.  Also, there is NO other list/data associated with Bob - just the short list of vaccinations.  All of my databases are like this - not related to anything other than the data in that database.  And, my databases, other than updating with for example a new vaccination or a new CD purchase, have not changed in 20 years, and will not change in the future.  For about 15 years I used the wonderful Appleworks/Clarisworks - simple database, spread sheet (which I did not need), word processor, and simple layout program in one.  Then Apple dropped this program,  Substitutes were found, except for a database, until Filemaker released Bento, and made it easy to transfer data.  Bento did/does have much more "power" than I will ever need, but now Filemaker has dropped Bento.  It still works with Mac OS, but its days are numbered.  Hence I was forced to migrate to FMP, which I knew was thousands more times powerful than what I needed, and more expensive of course.  The FMP phone rep said I could easily transfer all of my Bento data to FMP with a furnished migration tool.  This proved to be true, with the exception of the one minor glitch of printing a title/header on the first page of each database.

I will readily admit to being confused.  While I do not want/need to learn the intricacies of FMP for my simple needs, I have attempted to find out how to add this simple header/title.  My hope is that someone experienced with the program will see my undoubtably foolish omission and tell me how/where to add this to a printout.  Honestly, that is all I will ever need to learn about this program.   With that I will have all that I need.  Think of me as having a set of tools that would permit me to assemble and disassemble a Boeing 747, when all I needed was a flat head screwdriver.  But, the only way to get the screwdriver was to purchase the Boeing tool set.  If I had no clue as to how to use even the screwdriver, I would hate to have to spend hours/days/years learning how to use much of the toolkit just to find out which end of the screwdriver to hold.  Instead, I would try to find a compassionate expert who would put the screwdriver in my hand.  Thanks for your patience.

• 7. Re: Need help with header on FMP printouts please
                      WBSimon

Your field placement seems a little tight in the header. If the field takes up the same place as the header base/ body top, the field will disappear. I always make sure the header (or any enclosing part) is at least 2 pts (I use pts instead of cm/in) points larger than the field and center the field within the upper and lower borders. You can play around with it a bit if you want to be as close as you can.

• 8. Re: Need help with header on FMP printouts please
                        WBSimon

Also . . . after re-reading you initial post, you will be able to see the header during browse mode if you go into Layout Setup »Table View » Properties and check 'Include header part'.

• 9. Re: Need help with header on FMP printouts please
                          bobio01

Thank you for staying with me on this!  I have resized the "header" so that it is not touching any of the other fields.  I have also followed your instructions and did find that I needed to check "include header part".  But, when I switch back to Browse Mode I still do not display "Immunizations Bob".  Can you think of something else I may be missing?  Is it possible that "Immunizations Bob" is not a header, but something else?  Thanks again.

• 10. Re: Need help with header on FMP printouts please
                            philmodjunk

While I do not want/need to learn the intricacies of FMP for my simple needs,

While you do want to learn the intricacies of FMP, you DO need to learn the basics. An learning how to set up several tables linked in relationships is one of those basics.

Who is "Bob" anyway? The patient? The doctor?

Setting up a different table for each different doctor or each patient will be a very messy and time consuming way to work with this data. You really do need that related table--as a way to save you a great deal of time and effort in working this this system.

• 11. Re: Need help with header on FMP printouts please
                              bobio01

Thanks.  I understand your reasoning.  However, in this case, as in all my databases, there is nothing to which to relate.  Specifically in this case there is one and only one patient - Bob.  There is no doctor, clinic, or any other entity to which to link.  There is one and only one list - immunizations.  This is the way the database was set up over 20 years ago in Appleworks, transferred to Bento, and now to FMP.  It has not changed in two decades, and will not change in the future, other than to add new immunizations.  All I need is the knowledge to add a heading/title (whatever it is called) to the browse mode that will printout.  In looking at the tutorials I have not been able to discover how to do this in this data which was transferred from Bento.  As I have mentioned, it shows in Layout, but not in browse/print.  

• 12. Re: Need help with header on FMP printouts please
                                RickWhitelaw

Curious . . . there will always be only one patient? If that's the case why not record the info in a word processor? 

• 13. Re: Need help with header on FMP printouts please
                                  bobio01

Yep, just one patient - me smiley  In this particular case a word processor would in fact be fine.  But in several other of my simple databases I do want the ability to sort by field.  For example, in the inventory database of my camera equipment it is convenient to be able to sort the list by brand, type (e.g. lens versus camera body versus filter), etc.  When I set thees up, basically inventory lists, I also set up the immunization list since it was convenient.  Another example is a list of CDs, LPs, and mp3s.  I have no need to relate this list to anything else, but it is nice to be able to sort based upon musician, media type, etc.  With each of these database lists for the last almost 20 years I have been able to print a title at the top of the first page (e.g. "CDs").  In the transfer of the data from Bento to FMP I have "lost" this capability, until I figure out how to either make the title/header that appears at the top of the Layout view display at the top of the Browse view, or add it, and then print.  

In a land far far away and a time long long ago there was a subset of humans, to include me, that made great use of a simple non-relatinoal database for simple personal needs.  A prime example was a household goods inventory.  Appleworks, and to a lesser extent Bento, made this very easy.  One could "learn" how to set up the database in about three minutes, and all was well with the world.  Most of us had never heard of a relational database, and had no use for it.  We are dying off I expect, but I still cling to hope that I will be able to add this simple title to the top of each database when printing.  If I can accomplish this, I expect that I will expire before FMP does.  At this point in my life and for this purpose I want a simple tool, not a project to learn.  Move the data (done), upload to a backup cloud (done), and finally print it out in a form that would be easily interpreted by anyone viewing it - insurance company, heirs, etc.  All I need to make my life complete in this quest is how to print out the title :-)  If all else fails I suppose I could print it long hand at the top, but that is so embarrassing :-)

• 14. Re: Need help with header on FMP printouts please
                                    bobio01

Thank you all for your patience.  I think I have stumbled on the solution to my problem, partially because of the directions in which you have pointed me.  Bento was very simple (loved it) and did not have the capability to generate customized reports.  You simply set up what you wanted to see and then printed, with everything in sight printing.  Some of this did not translate to FMP.  Now that I realize (duh) that you can and to some degree must generate a report for printing, I have been able to add the header that would not print.  My reasoning may be incorrect, but with a "report" I am now getting the header.