1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 23, 2010 10:38 AM by philmodjunk

Need Help With Hi-res (100MB) Image Database

DustinGrella

Title

Need Help With Hi-res (100MB) Image Database

"I am familiar with FileMaker Pro and have used it to set up an online library reservation and checkout system. That being said, I know that I'll need help from an expert before I even begin this next project.

I want to set up a very simple database of which each entry will be exactly the same and include:

1 hi-res image (100MB)
      1 low-res image (6MB)
      1 text field (100K)
      10 ID tags

The database will have 3000 entries today and over the next 20 years will grow to 10000. It will only be viewable locally for now, but would like the option to put it up online eventually. My question is how should I set up the database so that I can quickly search through the images and not let it get bogged down by the (3000x100MB) 3GB of data? Should I include the images in the database or just set up a reference for them? I am including the low-res image so that the database is easier to page through, and then if they need the hi-res image they can download it.

• 1. Re: Need Help With Hi-res (100MB) Image Database
          philmodjunk

Given the size of your images, I think you'll want store by reference container fields. Since store by reference fields have to be stored in just the right folder (check your web publishing documentation), you might want to put all your images in that folder now so that you don't have to update the file references later when you publish.

I'd put the hi-res image in one container field and the low res image in another container field of the same record. You'll also want to check Import Records | Folder as a way to import an entire folder of images in one go.