3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2013 10:13 AM by philmodjunk

Need help with Inventory Starter Template

pad-man

Title

Need help with Inventory Starter Template

First using FMP12, and Go for iPad and iPhone. Sole user. Here are the edits I need helo with. These are the first modifications I am making to the template and am uncertain how to do them. First, I do not need all of the data fields but have left the template in it's default. Here is what I am trying to accomplish: I need to list the inventory of a medical/first aid kit, getting a total cost of all the items in the bag plus the bag it self. So for example I need to stock the kit with 10 band aids. I purchased a box of 100 for $10.00. I dont need to differentiate a unit cost and unit price  becasue I am not reselling the items, I am only dispensing them. So what I would like to have is another filed which will yield a cost per piece, inother words 100 count band aids at $10 results in a $0.10 cost per piece. When I enter values into the transaction I would like  the 10 band aids show up as the Units on hand, with a value of $1.00 and each time a band aid goes out it will calculate the units on hand and also trigger the restock value. 

Once I have this incorporated, I would like to have a button on the FileMaker Go, so all I have to do is hit a button/image/icon and the touch will deduct one piece per each touch or a wheel with numbers to choose the number of pieces (band aids, advil....) dispensed and have it time stamped so I can produce a report based on what was dispensed and when it was dispensed and how many so I may get an actual cost of dispensed items ..... 

Other relavent info: populated the database with 70 items and images. I do not need weight, bar code, dimension fields, lot number. All other fields have been populated. I may want to make a table and add what job this kit is assigned to and add that as a field.

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

• 1. Re: Need help with Inventory Starter Template
          philmodjunk

These statements seem contradictory:

I purchased a box of 100 for $10.00. I dont need to differentiate a unit cost and unit price  becasue I am not reselling the items, I am only dispensing them. So what I would like to have is another filed which will yield a cost per piece, in other words 100 count band aids at $10 results in a $0.10 cost per piece.

When I enter values into the transaction I would like  the 10 band aids show up as the Units on hand, with a value of $1.00

How did a 10 cent bandaid become a 1 dollar band aide?

Do you mean 10 groups of 10 bandaids at a dollar for each 10 bandaid group?

Calculation fields can certainly be added or modified to divide total price by item count to give you a unit cost.

In most cases, you can delete unused fields from your layout and a fileMaker database will still function correctly with the remaining fields. Always make a backup copy just before making such a change so that you can revert if you find that you removed items that you really needed. You can also open Manage | Database | Fields and delete fields directly from the table. This deletes the fields from all layouts, but script steps that reference any of those fields will be "broken" and if any calculation fields reference the field you are deleting, you get an error message telling you that you can't delete the field. (Fields used in scripts and as match fields in relationships also throw up a warning, but you are permitted to override it.

• 2. Re: Need help with Inventory Starter Template
            pad-man

PhilModJunk, Thank you for the reply. Sorry I was not clear on the band-aid description. I would purchase 100 band aids for a total cost of $10.00. I would only stock 10 of then as inventory in the kit.  Stock Value would show as $1.00.  Great idea about making acopy to the database each time I try something new or unfamiliar.

Any sugestions how I might set this up to arrive at my final result?

Thanks again,

Adam

• 3. Re: Need help with Inventory Starter Template
              philmodjunk

In Your Stock Transactions table, you can add fields for:

Quantity
                   CountPerItemPurch
                   Cost
                   cItemCost

cItemCost can be a calculation field with this expression:

Cost / ( Quantity * CountPerItem )

In your band aid example, you'd enter 1 as the quantity (1 box of 100), 100 as the CountPerItemPurch and then $`10 as the cost. You'd enter 10 into the "Units In" field. If you need to show the number of items per inventory (10 bandaids) you can use

Quantity * CountPerItemPurch / Units In