1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 6, 2012 2:23 AM by Padster

Need help with laying out table relationships

JohnWozniak

Title

Need help with laying out table relationships

Let me first say that I am a total noob here, so please forgive my ignorance.  I want to up a DB to log Chassis/Tire setups for race cars.  I have already laid out the tables I need for the info I want to log, but I am not sure what the proper relationships between the tables should be.

Car table; has basic car details e.g. models, year, etc.

Track table; has basic details on various tracks e.g. track name, location, etc.

Chassis table; details on suspension setups and corner balancing info

Tire table; details on various tires e.g. brands, models, sizes

Pyro table; a log of tire temps after each run

Here is how the data comes together, for a specific car at a specific track we will use a specific chassis setup with a specific set of tires.  So what we need to figure out is what is the best chassis setup for the tires we are going to use at that specific track on that specific car.  The way we figure out the proper chassis setup is, first we determine what tires will be using at that track, then we set the chassis to generic settings, run the car around the track a few times and bring the car in to record tire temps.  Using those tire temp details we will adjust the chassis, and then do the process over again and again.  We do this multiple times looking for the optimal settings for the best tire traction on the track. 

I would like to be able to log everything, including the multiple chasis/tire setups used at a specific track for a given car.  Note that we could have multiple cars running at the same track and as well those same cars will be going to other tracks (and the process starts all over again).  Plus we could use different tires at the same track for a different event type.  So you can see why we need a DB to track all of this as it can get complicated quickly.  And to think we do this on paper today (well speadsheets really), uhg.

Please let me know if more details are needed to help explain further.

Thanks in advance,

-JohnW

• 1. Re: Need help with laying out table relationships
          Padster

Hi John,

Based on what you have detailed about above, I have attached a Relations Graphs to match roughly what you have suggested. But this in my mind may be a bit too much for what you are trying to do. Is there a reason that you want all of this spereated out into 5 Tables (possible 6 if you include Events).

A way to look a this would be to remove the Tacks and Events tables, and just have then as 'Dropdown'/Editable fields within the Car table, this would only be two extra columns. You can manage this as Value Lists to create dropdowns that link to a tble, so they can easily be added to at a later date if needed. So, when you select a car, you select the Track and the Event, from there, you can enter the Chassis and Tyre information as required.

What you don't want to do is try and over complicate the information that you are wishing to store. Look at how you are storing the informaiton in the spreadsheet you metioned. I would assume that each row on a single sheet you will have all the information on it, Track, Event, Car, Chassis, Tyres, Pyro. Or each sheet might be track speciic. Anyway, There is no reason that this cannot be transposed directly into FM. 

Pad