AnsweredAssumed Answered

Need help with lengthy dropdown list

Question asked by BobRusch on Sep 24, 2014
Latest reply on Sep 24, 2014 by philmodjunk

Title

Need help with lengthy dropdown list

I am a pretty new user, and now developing my first application.  Things are going well, but I am a little stumped with a dropdown list problem.

My application involves making kits.  These are boxes that are sent to customers with various items put inside them.  In my kit layout, there is a portal for the kit line items, similar to detail line items  on an invoice layout.

The idea is to add items to the kit through the portal.  I set up a dropdown list where I can pick the part number of the detail line item, and enter a quantity.

The line items in the portal use a foreign key (_fkItemId ) that is related to  the Item file (__pkItemId).  I have approximately 35,000 items in the Item file.  My dropdown box works fine, but since the data type in the relationship is a number, I cannot use Auto Complete to type in partial Item Numbers.  This means that I must scroll through to find the right item number, which is time consuming given that there are 35,000 items.

I would like to be able to either have an autocomplete function as I type, or hit a lookup button that will allow me find the product and then populate the portal row based on my lookup.

Thank you!

ScreenShot559.jpg

Outcomes