AnsweredAssumed Answered

Need Help with Library Catalog Numbers

Question asked by CRHawk on Jun 18, 2010
Latest reply on Jun 22, 2010 by philmodjunk

Title

Need Help with Library Catalog Numbers

Hello All,

My Setup:  Mac OS 10.6.4, Filemaker 11, Novice, No Network...Solo Macbook

I am a band director trying to set up a catalog system for our sheet music library that groups the music on the shelf for easy browsing.  I would like to use a numbering system for each entry based on the following criteria:

1) Category (Concert, Marches, Christmas, Jazz Band)
2) Grade (anything from 0.5 to 5.0 in increments of .5)
3) A sequential 3 digit number within each Category and Grade

I would like the catalog number to formatted as XX-00-000 whereas the first two letters are the first two letters of the category, the 2nd two numbers are the grade (multiplied x 10 to remove the decimal) and the last three digits is automatically generated after Category and Grade are selected, so that each piece within each grade & within each category starts at 001.

For example:

Concert Pieces at grade 0.5 would be catalogued CO-05-001, CO-05-002, etc.
Concert Pieces at grade 1.0 would be catalogued CO-10-001, CO-10-002, etc.
Marches at grade 0.5 would be catalogued for MA-05-001, MA-05-002, etc.

So, if I want to look at all of the Grade 3 Christmas music, they’re all together on the shelf.  If I order a new grade 3 Christmas piece, the new catalog no. will be in sequence with the other Grade 3 Christmas pieces.

I am new to Filemaker and have very limited database experience.  I did manage to create the following fields:

Category (with drop down menu)
Grade (with drop down menu)
Serial  (Auto-enter Serial)
Cat. No (my best attempt) = Category & "-" & Grade * 10 & "-" &  SerialIncrement("000" ; Serial)  

This obviously did not abbreviate the Category, and the serial was essentially just a 3 digit counter, but I wanted you to know the extent of my ignorance before you reply,  This whole "Specify Calculation" language is kinking my butt.

I appreciate any help and...type SLOWLY. :smileywink:

Chad

Outcomes