AnsweredAssumed Answered

Need help with network set up

Question asked by robyn.wilcox@gvltec.edu on Oct 29, 2008
Latest reply on Jan 9, 2009 by jeffleon

Title

Need help with network set up

I am setting up FM9 on 3 PCs and 6 Macs for an internal advertising agency.  I'm on a PC and I've done the set up and got the database just like we want it.  We are all networked and have a department shared drive that we are encouraged to put larger items on because they haven't put alot into the memory of our individual computers.  To me it made sense that the database we all work on should also be housed on that shared drive on the network because of size.  I've read and reread every thing on this forum and the help feature about how that's not the best way to do it, but I'm just not getting it.  If every one of our users has a direct link to the shared drive, why wouldn't that be the best place for this database to reside?  As I'm adding users, I'm getting increasing error messages that are shutting down the database, and if I'm not here to see the alert it locks everyone out.  I'm not sure if this is related to the increase in use or memory or what.

I'd appreciate any help on this, including telling me what questions I need to ask of my IT department if the network is part of it.

Outcomes