4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2010 2:24 PM by biswasg

Need help with Portal in FileMaker Pro ver 7

biswasg

Title

Need help with Portal in FileMaker Pro ver 7

I have four tables in the database with the following relationship: TableA -> TableB -> TableC <- TableD. The -> indicates one-to-many relationship while <- indicates many-to-one relationship.

When I create a portal with the TableC under TableD in the layout and the portal fields include related fields from Table B and Table A, everything woks fine. However, when I create a portal with TableC under TableA in the layout and include related fields from TableB and TableA, the portal output generates all the related records from TableC but value in the related fields from TableB and TableA only shows the first matched value. As I am new to FileMAker, I am obviously missing some trick here. Can someone help?

• 1. Re: Need help with Portal in FileMaker Pro ver 7
          philmodjunk

More likely you are missing some detail in how you've constructed the relationships or layout. I'd also double check the values in each match field to make sure they have the values you expect.

"in the related fields from ... TableA only show the first matched value"

That's a puzzling description. Since your layout is based on TableA, why put fields from TableA in the portal? (They should all show the same value for every row in your portal.)

• 2. Re: Need help with Portal in FileMaker Pro ver 7
            biswasg

Thanks Phil for your reply.

In my querry, I forgot one more related table in between A and B: The relationship is like this

TableA -> Table E->TableB -> TableC <- TableD

So when I create portal based on Table C in layout of Table A and in the portal include filed from TableC, Table B and Table E, what happens is that for each record of TableA, I get a list of related record from TableC in the portal. However, the fields form the related records from TableB and TableE do not show correctly. For all the instances of records from TableC, the fields from only the first matching record from Table B and TableE are shown.

I have checked the related values and they are correct. 

Gautam

• 3. Re: Need help with Portal in FileMaker Pro ver 7
              philmodjunk

That clears things up and then I find I was "missing something" also. :smileywink:

The solution is to create additional table occurrences of TableB and TableE.

Add these to your graph, linking them to TableC.

You get this result: TableA --<TableE--<TableB--<TableC>--TableB 2>--TableE 2.

Add fields from TableB 2 and TableE 2 instead of TableE and TableB and they will display the correct values.

Why this is needed is the key question:

When you add fields from TableE and TableB, Filemaker traces through the relationships from TableA to TableE for the TableE fields and from TableA to TableE for the TableE fields. TableC has no affect on which records "match". By adding additional Table Occurrences "to the right" of TableC, and using fields from these Table Occurrences, the correct value matching takes place.

• 4. Re: Need help with Portal in FileMaker Pro ver 7
                biswasg

Thanks Phil.

Your solution works like a charm.

Gautam