AnsweredAssumed Answered

need help with relationships in new database --subgroup

Question asked by drc on Feb 25, 2009
Latest reply on Feb 25, 2009 by FentonJones

Title

need help with relationships in new database --subgroup

I am designing a database with the first table-"person"  (containing various fields:name, birth date, age,  address, sex etc); this is linked to a second table, "clients"  and I plan to define, in a third table, "female clients" and a fourth table,"male clients" Some of the "persons serve in other roles, as "volunteers" (which will not be subdivided into male and female)and also as "researchers", so only the "clients will need separate tables that will subsequently have different activities 

I linked the person ID primary key to the patient ID primary key and now wish to link the patient table to the male and female tables. While I can easily link the tables and establish a relationship between the tables, I am stumped about how to define the last tables by gender, when gender is stored as a field in the "persons" table.

I assume that I need to make a calculation that if clients are female, they belong in the female client table and if not female (ie =male) they will by default be allocated into the male table.  

Please help

Outcomes