1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 3, 2015 9:25 PM by philmodjunk

Need help with strategy

SteveKeiser

Title

Need help with strategy

I need help with a strategy to deal with an unforeseen need. I developed a collections module. Of course collection notes link to an account key number. What I have found is that sometimes an accounts payable office handles the payables for more than one of our accounts. So that the notes do not have to be copied and pasted into multiple places, I want to be able to link those accounts together so that the notes that are in common, when entered on one account, can be seen from the other linked accounts. I don't see an "OR" choice in the relationships dialog, so I am not sure of the best method for doing this. Would appreciate any ideas.

• 1. Re: Need help with strategy
          philmodjunk

There are two basic ways to set up an "OR" relationship in FileMaker:

a) Put multiple matching values in the same field separated by returns. If you put the following IDs into a single text field:

The record with this match field can match to records in the related table with values of 3 or 40 or 5000...

b) use an intermediary "join table".

Accounts----<Account_Note>----Notes
          Accounts::__pkAccountID = Account_Note::_fkAccountID
          Notes::__pkNoteID = Account_Note::_fkNoteID

Using same data from a), you have three records in Account_note, one with an account id of 3 one with 40 and one with 500. All three of these records would have the same NoteID and thus would all link to the same record in Notes.