2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2012 3:29 PM by BarryMillenson

Need Help!!!

BarryMillenson

Title

Need Help!!!

I recently upgraded to File Maker Pro 11.  So far all of my files have converted over.  I am having trouble with one of my reports that calculates an average for me.  The best way I can describe it is I use this report for a automobile dealership.  We enter each customers purchase.  One of the fields is for finance reserve.  I have it set up to do a report that totals the finance reserve of all the customers and then gives me an average.  This worked fine with my previous version of FM Pro.  What is happening now is if the finance reserve field is left blank (which does happen if it is a cash deal) it does not calculate this deal into my average.  If I enter a 0.00 into the field it will count it.  The problem with entering the 0.00 is that we also calculate how many Finance deals there are as a percentage of Total deals.  When I enter 0.00 it ends up showing me 100% Finance penetration and I know this is not correct.   My field that is used for this is called AVGFIN it is set up as a summary field that is set to Average Total Finance Income Weighted by Constant.

I hope I have not made this to complicated.

Thanks if you can help me.

Barry

• 1. Re: Need Help!!!
          philmodjunk

Out of curiosity, from what version of FileMaker did you upgrade?

There are two basic methods to calculating aggregate values such as averages, calculaton fields with aggregate functions and summary fields. Which did you use?

I don't have every version of FileMaker, but when I create a number field in FileMaker 5.5 and a summary field to compute the average, records with blank fields are ignored, just like FileMaker 10 and 11 do so I'm suprised this worked for you in a previous version.

A simple fix is to add a calculation field such as Reserve Field + 0 and clear the "do not calculate if all referenced fields are empty" option. Then set your summary field to take the average of this field instead of the Reserve field.

• 2. Re: Need Help!!!
            BarryMillenson

I know this is terrible but I was on version 4.  So going to version 11, I new would be a challenge.  The good news is that I was able to figure out a solution last night.  What's even better, what I figured out is exactly what you recommended.

Thanks for your interest,

Barry