3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2012 11:00 AM by philmodjunk

Need Help.. Different Users are seeing other users data

bvillarreal

Title

Need Help.. Different Users are seeing other users data

I need to roll out this database. The database is upload on the Filemaker Pro 12 Server and users can log in using their AD (LDAP) credentials. But when they log in, they see everyone data. How can I fix this? I want everyone to only see their data.   I do not want to create twenty of the same database and manually add username and password to each one. There should be a way to fix this.

In the Manage Security, I have External Server - Data Entry Only for the users and External Server - Full Access for me.

I hope you all can help me with this.

• 1. Re: Need Help.. Different Users are seeing other users data
          philmodjunk

What does Get ( AccountName ) return when using this method for managing access? Does each user still get a unique account name?

You can place an unstored calculation field on a layout using Get ( AccountName ) to test this.

If each user still gets a unique account name, you can use record level access control to control access to which records they are permitted to see.

See "Editing record access privileges" in FileMaker Help and check out this particular sub section: "Entering a formula for limiting access on a record-by-record basis" for a detailed description of how to set this up.

• 2. Re: Need Help.. Different Users are seeing other users data
            bvillarreal

I added the field (username) and use Get(AccountName) and when I tried it .. it gave me the name of the iPad's name that I am using. 

I also used the Get(username) and it gave me --- admin when I log in which I was logging in as Admin.

When I log in as me and add records work okay but then I logged out and log in as someone else, that person saw the same records and can add and delete..

what I want is only for me to see my records that I add in and the others person see their own records. 

Hope you can help me...

thanks...

• 3. Re: Need Help.. Different Users are seeing other users data
              philmodjunk

There is a way to control access on a record by record basis, but I am unclear as to what, if any impact using LDAP to access the account has on this process.

I wonder if you have get  (UserName ) and Get ( AccountName ) mixed up here.

Get ( UserName ) returns the name specified in preferences--and this can thus be specific to the hardware used. Get ( AccountName ) identifies the account name used when logging into the system.

As long as Get ( AccountName ) returns a unique name for each user that logs in, you can set u record level access control to limit which records can be accessed by a given user.

See "Editing record access privileges" in FileMaker Help and check out this particular sub section: "Entering a formula for limiting access on a record-by-record basis" for a detailed description of how to set this up.