1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 14, 2011 10:29 AM by philmodjunk

Need Quick Help On This one Value list/Lookup

StephenJohnson

Title

Need Quick Help On This one Value list/Lookup

I Have a table of Names

Some are clients some are others contact employees etc

I have created a Table called Projects with a Field Called Clients, I want this to be a Dropdown list from the Names List but the ones where the catagory/Allocation is Client only.

Then I can start with the rest of the fields.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Need Quick Help On This one Value list/Lookup
          philmodjunk

Please make sure that your table of names includes an ID number and enough other fields to tell two clients with the same name apart from one another. Names are not unique and people also change their names--thus links to other records by name can result in major problems in either the case of duplicate names or name changes.

What you describe is called a conditional value list. The most flexible method is to define a relationship between your two tables that only matches to client records in your Names table. A Quick but much less flexible option is to define a calculation field in Names that looks something like this:

If ( TypeField = "Client" ; NamesID ; "" )

Then base your value list on this calculation field for the first field and include either the Name field or a calculation field that combines the name with other fields such as a phone number, company name, or address. (The added info helps you tell one "John Smith" client from another "John Smith" client.)

If you prefer to use a relationship, see these links for more on the subject:

Forum Tutorial: Custom Value List?

Knowledgebase article: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5833/kw/conditional%20value%20list

Demo File: http://www.4shared.com/file/f8NsU2DJ/ConditionalValueListDemo.html