9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2009 9:20 PM by BR

need sample standalone filemaker 10 database

BR

Title

need sample standalone filemaker 10 database

hello guys,

i need to download a sample standalone filemaker pro 10 database so i can show something as demo to my boss because we are looking for a database solution which we can use to distribute our database to our partners without royalty and i'm eyeing fm10 as primary solution.

we cant use ms access since it doesnt support standalone distributions and the trial version of fm10 available in this site doesnt support creation of standalone databases.

if anybody can upload and provide me a sample fm10 standalone project id be very grateful.
      thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: need sample standalone filemaker 10 database
          Sorbsbuster

Hi, BR,

My suggestion would be to contact your local FM Sales Team and discuss with them the best template to suit your demo purpose.  No point in someone sending you a runtime version of stock tracking if your partners are interested in Consultancy Time Management.  I assume they will have FM10 Advanced which will let them create a runtime version of any of the supplied templates.

Note that the runtime versions are only useable by one user at a time - they are not multi-user enabled.

HTH,

Alan.

PS: I strongly recommend that you edit your post to take your e-mail address out of your post.  If someone wants to contact you that way they can send you a private message.

• 2. Re: need sample standalone filemaker 10 database
            BR
               thanks for the reply sorbsbuster, i also removed my email.

the problem is that we dont have any local fm sales team accessible from my locality (palawan, philippines) so the internet is the shortest possible route for me now.

i dont require any complicated sample database, i just need even one of those sample databases included in the standard templates of fm10. the 'document library' (with guest enabled to enter, modify and delete data) would do quite nicely because i can show our manager what the authoring interface is like and what the deployed interface will be like also and we can test which media we can deploy it onto etc. we are also concerned about the deployed archive size. db being multi-user doesnt matter. but i need the runtime to run on windows.

our other option is to hire a vb programmer to develop a simple db interface which to be deployed and i would like to convince him in investing in a fm developer license that we can just program our own database as well as deploy royalty-free runtimes ourselves without the need to outsource anymore.

i hope my intentions were clear enough and sorry about the errors in my english because it isnt my native language :)

• 3. Re: need sample standalone filemaker 10 database
              Sorbsbuster

Hi BR,

You can download a 30-day trial copy of FM10 from the Filemaker site, I'm sure.  There are templates included with it, and other templates are available on the site.

Why not download that, choose the template that most suits your needs, and even modify it to suit your company? 

You will need FM10 Advanced, I believe, to be able to create standalone versions of your file.  The standalone file will run on windows.  It will look exactly like the version you open in FM10 as far as the user is concerned.

The size of the standalone file will be quite big, getting on for 100MB (see here: http://forum-en.filemaker.com/fm/board/message?board.id=FM-en-4&thread.id=5434) .

In my humble opinion Filemaker is the way to go for you, but then I'm biased.

Alan.

(PS: Your English is perfectly clear, thanks!)

• 4. Re: need sample standalone filemaker 10 database
                BR
                   i have already downloaded the trial copy of fm10 but unfortunately there isnt a trial for fm10 advanced.
                im sure that the runtime looks exactly like the fm10 as described, but i'll need those actual files because we'll need to test and show our manager how easy it is to deploy (without the need to install fm10). we will also be trying out entering some data and see how large and stable the database is etc.
                i have seen fm and although its my first time with it, im quite impressed by how easy it is to set up a db. this is why i want to convince my superior to invest in a license instead.
                if any of you guys would be kind enough to create a runtime in one of those example templates.. you can zip it up and upload to rapidshare.com (supports up to 200mb / file)
                thanks again mates!

• 5. Re: need sample standalone filemaker 10 database
                  Sorbsbuster

TSGal - is there any issue with this?

Although I don't *really* see the need for it, I have created a zip of the standard template 'Product Catalogue', and I'm happy to upload it to Rapidshare.  But I am hesistant because an official 'Filemaker' person hasn't jumped in to fire off a zip file. 

Alan.

• 6. Re: need sample standalone filemaker 10 database
                    BR
                       the standalone runtimes can be distributed "royalty-free" right?
                    and royalty-free means if we have an advance license, we can distribute and deploy these runtime files without intellectual property infringement of some sort, correct?

i just would like to be clarified first on this matter because enabling us to distribute our database frontend legally is the primary reason why im advocating our office to use fm10 in the first place.

• 7. Re: need sample standalone filemaker 10 database
                      TSGal

BR:

Thank you for your posts.

Yes, the standalone runtimes can be distributed "royalty-free".  Yes, you can distribute and deploy the runtime files without intellectual property infringement.

Sorbsbuster - Feel free to send out a runtime solution.  No problem here.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 8. Re: need sample standalone filemaker 10 database
                        Sorbsbuster

Here's the Filemaker Official 'Product Catalogue' template.

<!--  [if gte mso 9]&gt;&lt;xml&gt; &lt;w:WordDocument&gt;   &lt;w:View&gt;Normal&lt;/w:View&gt;   &lt;w:Zoom&gt;0&lt;/w:Zoom&gt;   &lt;w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/&gt; &lt;/w:WordDocument&gt; &lt;/xml&gt;&lt;![endif]  --><!--  /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal      {mso-style-parent:&quot;&quot;;      margin:0cm;      margin-bottom:.0001pt;      mso-pagination:widow-orphan;      font-size:12.0pt;      font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;;      mso-fareast-font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;;} @page Section1      {size:612.0pt 792.0pt;      margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt;      mso-header-margin:36.0pt;      mso-footer-margin:36.0pt;      mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1      {page:Section1;}   -->http://rapidshare.com/files/193127614/ProductCatalog.zip.html 

Alan.

• 9. Re: need sample standalone filemaker 10 database
                          BR
                             thank you very much alan and tsgal,

however, the runtime file that was uploaded was v9, what i would like to see is the runtime v10.
                          if any of you guys have fm10 advance and be willing to create a sample runtime from it id be very grateful

(i hope im not asking too much guys.. thanks again)