2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2010 6:08 AM by jhed

Need to select multiple (non-consecutive) years

jhed

Title

Need to select multiple (non-consecutive) years

Hi!  I'm still kinda new to these forums, and all the help is greatly appreciated.

I am using FileMaker Pro 10.0v3

on a

MacBook Pro running OS X 10.4.11

I am creating an alumni/development database solution for a somewhat out-of-the-ordinary educational program.  I am trying to solve a problem I'm having with my YearsAtt field (Years Attended).  Our students come and go with some frequency: here one year, gone the next, back a year after that, for example, so I would like to be able to store their attendance data in such a way that I can have non-consecutive years (i.e. 2000, 2003, 2004) stored in the alumni record.  This needs to remain searchable in such a way that if I want to find all the alumni who were attending in, say, 2003, or even in 2001 & 2003, I can do so.

The way I have this set up currently is as a drop-down list.  It appears like I can make multiple selections, but once I leave the field and return to it, it does not appear that te multiple selections have saved.

I can't really use checkboxes for these, since the list of years would be quite unwieldy layout-wise.  As it is, I'm using a custom value list with each year from 2000-2020 listed, and the "Edit..." value list option checked so if I discover a student who attended prior to 2000 (or if by some amazing chance, the solution I'm building is still in use beyond 2020) the additional years can be added.

I can't really think of a better way to do this, but my experience is somewhat limited.  I've only just begun using FileMaker 10, and the last time I used FileMaker much at all was in 2002, I believe (no idea what version I was using then).  If I had to briefly describe my level of experience, I would say I'm maybe a notch or two above a complete novice.

Is there any way to do this, or am I just going around in circles for no reason?