1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 16, 2009 8:31 AM by philmodjunk

Need to upgrade from Bento?

JimW

Title

Need to upgrade from Bento?

<!--  StartFragment  -->

Hello –

I have been working with the trial version of Bento forthree days putting together a little system for myself. I am very happy withBento and especially it’s companion for the iPhone. I have not done anydatabase work since the early 90s when I had Macs using FileMaker Pro. Now thatI am in the process of migrating back to Macs, it’s great to see a familiarface once againJ

Through the evolution of my three day old project, I thinkthe next feature I wish to incorporate into my database may be a littlechallenging to do, if not beyond the scope of Bento. Assuming that it is, I wouldlike to make certain FileMaker can do it before I decide to migrate toFileMaker Pro 10.

This is what I would like to do:

I have five fields:

Manufacturer

Product

Cost 1

Cost 2

Cost 3

I would like to make a 6th field:

Lowest cost:

This field would take a Products’ minimum associated costand place it in this field.

Then a 7th would be created:

Name of Lowest Cost:   

This field would return the field name that the lowest  cost came from.

Lastly an 8th Field would be created:

Manufacturer with Lowest Cost:

This would return the name field of the manufacturer fromwhich that lowest cost came from.

I would then be able to have an area on my form that wouldautomatically show me what manufacturer has the lowest price for a particular product andin what cost category.

If there is as place, orif there are places in the online User’s Guide for FileMaker Pro 10 that wouldexplain how to accomplish this, I would appreciate any pointers you may offer.

Thank you,

Jim

<!--  EndFragment  -->

• 1. Re: Need to upgrade from Bento?
          philmodjunk

Check out "Portals" in the online help. I'd suggest doing this with at least two tables and a portal to list the costs as individual records. This will be a much simpler and more flexible approach. WIth a portal, your "best cost" and associated fields of information can be set to automatically sort to the top of the list if so desired.

I noticed you mentioned an IPhone. Note that it takes quite a bit more work to publish FMP in a manor that will work for this use. You might want to research a product called FMTouch.