sly_1

Title

needs some help with auto populate

Hi there,

Here is my issue

table 1 = student

Table 2 = services rendered

table 3 = payments

these tables are linked using the student id and they are set as portals on the student layout

they all have this feild as well (program)

on the student card they select a program that the student is in (math) then they click on the services rendered tab to create the invoice then they click on the payments tab to recieve payment.

here is the issue.

i would like the services rendered and payments auto populate the program the student is in from the student card.

im not sure how to do this or even script it for that matter so any help would be great

FM10

thanks

Sly

• 1. Re: needs some help with auto populate
          philmodjunk

Can a student be part of more than one program? If so, you need more tables.

Working with what you have at the moment, you do not need program fields in payments nor in services rendered.

Any layouts based on these tables can display all info from the student table simply by adding those fields from the student table to your layout.

Thus, the specified text in Program is accessible from all layouts based on Student, Services Rendered and Payments.

• 2. Re: needs some help with auto populate
            sly_1

umm they are diffrent because i run diffrent report from services rendered and payments thats why i have it setup that way. thats why id like to figure away to just have it auto populate based on the program the student is in. hope that makes sence

• 3. Re: needs some help with auto populate
              philmodjunk

..because i run diffrent report from services rendered and payments...

Different in what way? As long as it's the value currently entered in the Program field in the Students table, what I described works.

On your report layout, enter layout mode. Use the field tool to add a new field to your layout. Select Students in the drop down, then select the Program field from the list of fields.

If Students is not listed in this drop down as a related table, add a relationship to Students for your layout's table occurrence so that it is related.

You don't really want to store the same data in more than one table unless there's a specific reason, such as specifying "math" on today's report and not wanting to change it from "English" on older records used in a different report. If that's the case, you can set a looked up value field option on the matching Program field in each of the related tables to copy the current value of Program from the related record in Students.

• 4. Re: needs some help with auto populate
                sly_1

yes thats perfect. got it

Thanks a bunch