AnsweredAssumed Answered

Neophyte Questions, Clearing dependent fields, help with portals

Question asked by mknightnps on Oct 31, 2014
Latest reply on Oct 31, 2014 by mknightnps

Title

Neophyte Questions, Clearing dependent fields, help with portals

I'm a neopyhte filemaker developer and I'm starting to get into some more advanced (at least to me) techniques. I've reached the point where I am exceeding what the manuals/training resources available explain. I'm getting hung up and have driven myself to near madness trying to resolve these problems without help. I apologize for the length of the post. If this is an inappropriate place to submit this and/or if there are other forums or places out there where I might get help please feel free to suggest them. Screenshots are attached for visual explanation.

Inquiry: I have a "customer contact" table and layout where:

• each contact is assigned to one customer
  •      
  • each contact is assigned to many projects (see below for info on projects)      

• each project is assigned to one product. Each product is only related to one customer. Each product can be modified many times thus it can have many associated projects.
    •           
    • each project can have many customer contacts
    •      

•      
  • Problem: I want a portal that shows the projects that the customercontact is assigned to. I understand how to make this work when each project can only have one customer contact but not many.
Inquiry: I have a projects table and layout where:

• each project can have one customer assigned to it
  •      
  •      

• each customer has a customer service rep assigned to it
    •           
    • each customer has a sales rep assigned to it
    •           
    • each project has a product assigned (only products that belong to that customer)
    •           
    • each customer has many contacts           

• one or many of those contacts can be assigned to the project (solved with a join table "customer contacts assigned")
      •                
      • Problem: A user is able to assign the same contact multiple times through a portal. How do I prevent that?
      •           

•           
    • each project has a product assigned (only products that belong to that customer)
    •      

•      
  • Problem: If a user changes the customer on a project I want to generate a warning dialog that tells them that if they change the customer the rest of the fields associated with the project will be emptied. On the surface this seemed simple. I was able to sort-of make it work but I had to use a non-global variable, and I couldn't get it to ignore a blank record and work. I have no idea where to even start on reseting the portal records.      

• On the customer field (a "pup up menu") I initially attached scripts:           

• OnObjectEnter:
                       Set Variable [ $$customerslected; Value:Project::IDf_Customer ] 
      •           

•           
    • OnObjectValidate:            

If [ IsEmpty ( $$customerselected ) = 1 ]

Exit Script [ ]
      Else If [ $$customerselected ≠ Project::IDf_Customer ]

Show Custom Dialog [ Title: "WARNING"; Message: "Changing the customer will empty all of the fields"; Default Button: “OK”, Commit: “Yes”; Button 2: “Cancel”, Commit: “No” ]

If [ Get ( LastMessageChoice ) = 1 ]
      Set Field [ Project::Name_Project; "" ]

Else
                Revert Record/Request

End If End If

Set Variable [ $$customerselected; Value:"" ] 

•      

Untitled-1.png

Outcomes