6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2013 10:56 AM by drewboyd

Nested Sub-Summary Report unwanted Page Breaks / Blank Pages

drewboyd

Title

Nested Sub-Summary Report unwanted Page Breaks / Blank Pages

I have created a nested sub-summary report (2 levels) as shown in the screen shot below.  I have set the "allow part to break accross page boundries" for all parts including the Body, have made sure that there are no fields overlapping into other parts and set  sliding up based on  "All objects Above" including resize enclosing part for all objects in the report..

The report goups and displays as expected in Browse Mode but when I go to Preview Mode a page break is inserted following each Sub-summary value for MEL EquipComp.

Has anyone encountered this problem before? Does anyone have a solution?

Any help would be much appreciated

Notes:

The MEA Comments field is considerably larger than in the screen shot (reduced for clarity) but I have exactly the same problem with the version shown in the screen shot.

The layout is based on my ILST MTL MaintTask table with a relationship to ILS MEL Master Equipment List based on EquipID

Capture.PNG

• 1. Re: Nested Sub-Summary Report unwanted Page Breaks / Blank Pages
          philmodjunk

While in layout mode, double click the part label for the problem sub summary layout part. In the dialog that pops up, is there a page break option set at the bottom of it such as "page break after every [1] occurrence"?

• 2. Re: Nested Sub-Summary Report unwanted Page Breaks / Blank Pages
            drewboyd

I had checked all previously (just did again in case I missed something) and the Page break after every setting is not selected for any part. 

• 3. Re: Nested Sub-Summary Report unwanted Page Breaks / Blank Pages
              philmodjunk

From what I see in your layout, the first thing I'd do is drag the boundary between the lower sub summary layout part and the footer up as far as it will go so that there is no white space between this boundary line and the bottom of the comments field. I can see a page break line between the bottom edge of this field and the footer. that may not be the cause of your unwanted page breaks, but I'd fix that first just to rule out the possibility.

• 4. Re: Nested Sub-Summary Report unwanted Page Breaks / Blank Pages
                drewboyd

First off - thanks much for trying to help me out on this.

I spread things out a bit so that folks could see the labels and such.  Even when I shrink up the parts so that you do not see a page break the problems still occurs.  As stated in my notes above the  MEA Comments field needs to be considerably larger ( I shrunk it down once again so the entire layout could be seen in a screenshot)

All this being said, if I understand they way FM is supposed to work is that if the setting to allow parts to break accross pages and is used the size of the fields in the Body ( as long as they are set to slide) should have no effect on the Preview.

I am really stumped on this one.

• 5. Re: Nested Sub-Summary Report unwanted Page Breaks / Blank Pages
                  philmodjunk

They don't, but a small amount of white space between the bottom of the last field and the next layout part can result in a blank page of the sliding/resizing works out just the wrong way for a given set of records. So you want to eliminate that possibility as the first cause. (and make that same adjustment for your sub summary parts as well.)

I know that you have indicated that you set all objects on your layout to slide up and to also resize the enclosing prat, but what you describe really sounds like you have one object on the layout that is not set to slide or is not set to resize the enclosing part.

• 6. Re: Nested Sub-Summary Report unwanted Page Breaks / Blank Pages
                    drewboyd

I have done everything you suggested just in case.  The fact is I agree with you that  the whole thing is behaving as if an object on the layout that is not set to slide or is not set to resize the enclosing part - but that is not the case.

I set the slide properties to Slide up based on all objects above by using the Edit --> Select All command and then set the properties accordingly. For the Sub-Summary part settings I obviousely did each one manually.  I have up loaded an image showing both dialog boxes for the sub-summary parts to show you I have not lost my mind here ;-)

I even tried the discard remainder of part before new page setting with no change in the behavior of the report.