AnsweredAssumed Answered

Nesting categories?

Question asked by K.Feete on Oct 17, 2013
Latest reply on Aug 18, 2016 by realgrouchy

Title

Nesting categories?

So for the past year I've been gradually converting our Quickbooks, Bento, and random-Excel-spreadsheet data into a nice central Filemaker database, and it's been going well. But I'm up to moving over the books, and I just cannot get my head around how to replicate the categories.

The way Quickbooks categories work, if people don't know, is you have a category -- say, "Repair and Maintenance". R&M has subcategories "Buildings" and "Machinery", and then you might have subcategories "Housing" and "Farm" under Building, and so on. Each transaction in your bank ledger has a category or categories assigned to it, and when you pull up a category report you'll see the breakdown as well as a grand total -- you can see how much you spent repairing your housing and the grand total for R&M on one easy page. I need to maintain this basic functionality so I can compare this year's financials against past years (and also because the owner is not a computers person, so the fewer new tricks I have to teach him, the better.)

I know this can be done with Filemaker. I vaguely feel it can be done easily. But for whatever reason I am having a real block with seeing how to build tables that will nest in this fashion, and doing it in a relatively clean, easy to maintain structure.

If anyone has some suggestions that would get me past this mental hump, I'd be most grateful.

Outcomes