2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2008 8:54 AM by TSGal

Network Access Issue

ranchocomputers

Title

Network Access Issue

I do computer support for companies and am NOT a filemaker expert. I'm hoping someone can help.

My client has a Small Business server running filemaker 7 server.

It is a domain controller.

There are 7 clients and all work fine.

The clients are in the domain and they log in through the domain.

There is a custom app that is launched via the PC desktop. The app is on the server.

Recently, 2 people switched positions. I'll call them Brittany (was on PC1) and Morgan (was on PC2). Rather than switch PCs, I just added the users on the existing PCs. So Brittany is on PC2 (with admin rights) and Morgan is on PC1.

When either of them, in their new location, tries to launch the FM app, it just hangs. If they log off the PC and log back in as the original user, it works fine. So I know the networking infrastructure is fine, it's just something with the user set up on the 'new' PC.

I'm perplexed. Any ideas?

Bill

• 1. Re: Network Access Issue
          casey777

Sounds like an opening script may be looking for some verification between log on name and user name or account name or the PC's ID.

• 2. Re: Network Access Issue
            TSGal

ranchocomputers:

Thank you for your post.

The answer by TECman is the likely cause (Thank you!), but since you are not a FileMaker expert, here is what you need to do.

Launch the file with FileMaker Pro, pull down the File menu and select "File Options..."

Click on the "Open/Close" tab (if not already selected), and there is probably a check next to "Perform script:"

Click on "Specify", and write down the name of the Script that is highlighted.  Click "Cancel" twice to return to the file.

Pull down the Scripts menu and select "ScriptMaker..."

Look through the list of scripts for the named script and double-click it.  This then gives you the script steps.  This is where you would determine what is happening.  Feel free to let us know what are the steps, and someone here will give you some guidance.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.