9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2009 11:20 AM by dnello

Network Sharing Connection Disappearing

dnello

Title

Network Sharing Connection Disappearing

Anyone else have this problem?

So I installed Filemaker 10 Advanced on my computer (Mac OSX 10.5) and on a computer running Mac OSX Server. The server is just a basic file server but I was able to instal a copy of Filemaker 10 Advanced (not server) and get it running so I could remotely connect to the shared file (only 5 users need to access it). Everything seems to be working fine until sometimes when I open Filemaker Open Remote the server where the project is disappears from the list (no computer name, nothing). I go to the computer, filemaker is still running, the file is still up on the screen etc. So I close down Filemaker and re open the project and everything appears to be fine again. I thought maybe it was when the computer went to sleep but when I checked the computer is set to NEVER sleep. Only the monitor does.

Any help or insights on this would be appreciated 

• 1. Re: Network Sharing Connection Disappearing
          TSGal

dnello:

Thank you for your post.

It's difficult to determine what is causing the problem.  Do you have to close down FileMaker?  What if you just close the file and reopen it?  Are the other machines then able to see the file?  I'm trying to determine if the database file is losing contact, or if FileMaker is losing contact.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Network Sharing Connection Disappearing
            dnello

TSGal

Thanks for the quick response!

I just went and tried what you said, closing the file not the program, and that worked in making it re appear.  But after a few minutes it disappears again.

• 3. Re: Network Sharing Connection Disappearing
              TSGal

dnello:

Thank you for trying that out.  It is now narrowed to the file, since we did not have to restart FileMaker Pro.

Is it just this one file having the problem?  Then again, it sounds like you are only making one file available to the network.

Please create a new database file, pull down the File menu and select "Sharing -> FileMaker Network..." and turn on Network Sharing.

In that same dialog box, select the second file below and set the network access for "All users".

Open the original file, go to the other machine and see if both files are dropped.

If you have access to a third machine, try it from there, too. 

Are you running any other applications on the hosted computer?  Is there any other kind of network access occurring on that machine?  I'm wondering if there is some sort of conflict.  Any information you can provide may help narrow down the possibilities.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Network Sharing Connection Disappearing
                dnello

I tried the "creating new database" route and opening both and it still drops out.

There is some file sharing going on on this computer, would that be the type of traffic that may conflict with it? 

• 5. Re: Network Sharing Connection Disappearing
                  TSGal

dnello:

File sharing should not cause any conflict.  I was more interested in applications running that may be accessing other information across the network.

When the files disappear from the guest computer, return to the host computer where the files are open, pull down the File menu and select "Open Remote...".  You should be able to see your files listed.  If not, then there is something wrong with FileMaker Pro.  Assuming you can see the files, then there is something going on the network that is stopping the guest machine from seeing the files.

Try moving your files to the guest computer, and then try to use Open Remote from the old host machine.  I'm curious to see how this works.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Network Sharing Connection Disappearing
                    dnello

So after a few more days of testing this is the outcome:

I was able to get a copy of Filemaker Server 8 from my IT department and loaded it onto the server to see if using that vs sharing the file within filemaker would help. The same problem ocoured.

The thing is now when the server name and database disappear I am actually able to type in the address and connect even though it is not listed. So in a way it is working now but why does it not see it even though the database is obviously there and working? When it stops showing up on my workstation I go onto the other computer and just open the remote connect menu (in filemaker pro not server) and it shows it in the menu. I don't open the file or anything, walk back to my workstation and Pooof! it shows up again. It is almost like I walked over to the host computer slapped it and woke it up.

• 7. Re: Network Sharing Connection Disappearing
                      gregl

Do you have similar problems with other programs on the network that use Bonjour to advertise their services?

FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Pro Server use Bonjour (Apple's implementation of ZeroConf) for service discovery advertise on a local network that they have databases to share with other instances of FileMaker Pro.

If say, iPhoto and iTunes also had problems with shared albums disappearing intermittently on your local network... Bonjour users dropping in and out in Adium, etc. then that may be an indication of where to focus your investigation. 

• 8. Re: Network Sharing Connection Disappearing
                        dnello
                           That's for the advice. I don't think that is the problem though. We use Bonjour constantly throughout the day to communicate within the office and all of us share our Itunes library. There has never been a problem with the network handling that. But what you said did make me think of something. The computer it is on is a OSX Server and not a standard desktop. I noticed when I was going through the port definitions that there was one specifically for Bonjour. I wonder if that is effecting it. I will try it and see what happens.
                        • 9. Re: Network Sharing Connection Disappearing
                          dnello

So working off of your advice TheGSO I focused completely on Bonjour today. You were completely right in that it was a Bonjour problem just finding what was causing it wasn't so obvious (to me).

I went through the server admin and tweaked the firewall setting for everything that had to do with ichat, sharing, bonjour etc. I even made sure bonjour registration was on. In the Open Directory it showed Bonjour on and being used. Everything pointed to it working. Then when searching through a port listing that actually described what application or service used what port I found one that would have never crossed my mind. Multicast DNS! I turned this port on and now it works. There are no drop outs on seeing the file and seems to be running smoothly.

Thanks for everyones help