1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 26, 2013 10:07 PM by philmodjunk

Network Sharing Info - FPM12

beano129

Title

Network Sharing Info - FPM12

Hey all, 

Most of the DB's I've made I'm now sharing on my network so other FMP users / web-users / iPad users can access and use them. 

What I've been finding is that when i'm sat on my mac and i've got FM open, everyone else can access the DB's freely however when i close down the application at night, it cuts off everyone else's access. 

I'm assuming that I need the server edition to have the tables live 24x7 for everyone to be able to access the files all the time... 

But, is there a setting on fmp12 that keeps things running to a certain extent to allow iPad and Web users to continue to add to any tables they may be working from without the FM application being open in my mac? 

I'm not shutting down my machine in the evenings but just wanted some clarification into how other users can have perminent access and if my assumption is correct. 

Thanks all 

• 1. Re: Network Sharing Info - FPM12
          philmodjunk

The file must be open to be accessible. But that also gives you the option of leaving the file open on your computer with FileMaker Pro so that it remains accessible.

Ideally, your host machine probably shouldn't be your machine but a machine dedicated for use as the host machine.