2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2013 3:06 PM by Pstone

Network speed a factor in shared database with FMP?

Pstone

Title

Network speed a factor in shared database with FMP?

Just curious if anyone knows how much network traffic is involved in say a sort of 5000 records between a master PC running FMPro (not server) sharing to a slave. Is a 5mb internet connection between master and slave going to yield same results if you had the machines hooked up on a home gig network?

While I suspect network speed between master and slave does matter to some extent, I don't think it would explain how this 5000 record sort on a local machines that takes 10 seconds would take 90 seconds over a 5mb internet connection.

Even simple scroll downs of records in list mode on the internet connected machines causes the slave to go into  a spinny rainbow circle (mac client) where as local network = no delays.

• 1. Re: Network speed a factor in shared database with FMP?
          philmodjunk

How local is local?

Still connecting over a local network to a hosted copy of the file or opening it directly on the host computer?

If opening as a client, the only difference is networks speed. If opening as a host, there are other factors involved in serving up the database to make it accessible over the network.

• 2. Re: Network speed a factor in shared database with FMP?
            Pstone

Host is opening it and sharing on machine A.

Machine B on same gig LAN = lightening fast

Machine B over internet to Machine A via host lookup = super slow yet after testing this a little more, I think once we increase our circuit speed where Machine A is, I think performance will improve. We're currently 14.7 down / 1.85 up so I'm guessing that's the problem. 1.85mbps uplaod speed is the slow... But my wonder was is FMPro really that dependant on network speed to push a sort that should be happening locally.

I.E., Locally Machine A does the same sort done on Machine B in .5 seconds (4000 records)

Machine B local LAN = around 10 seconds

Machine B over the internet = 90 seconds

Which means why for the love of everything digital would hand-shaking between B and A to update that "Records Sorted box countdown" be so massively intensive? :)

Can't wait for our upgrade.