3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2012 12:09 PM by philmodjunk

network/local printer script issue

Jean-Francois

Title

network/local printer script issue

Hi

FMA11

I have an issue and I think it's a bug more a bag than a script issue.

Windows XP / Win2003 network

Printers are install on station and are connect to other station as \\pc_name\printer

When I programm the script on my station (no printers connect locally) so All set printer script step are with saved printer path as \\pc1\hp ... \\pc2\oki ... and so on.

On all the station on the network, those printer have the same UN path, put when the script is run from the PC1 and the HP printer is not the default one, it won't work. The print setup that save the printer path doesn't recognise that the \\pc1\hp is local on the PC1.

In windows, on a local machine, if you select in explorer \\your_own_pc\c$ it's working... so it's a FM issue that doesn't send local to this UN path for the printer.

I have found 2 work around, but this should be fix in any future release...

#1- Install the printer on the local machine, share it.

Install the printer on the server using add port and the old NT4 trix, create local port \\pc\printer and share it

From all stations, install the share from the server \\server\printer

so when scripting from every station it's the universal UN \\server\printer path.

This add printer can be deploy over the station with GPO

#2- Install the printer as everyone does, write a script that will check the mac address of the unit, and if it's the printer is install on that PC, have an ELSE statement that will bring a manual print dialog for user to select the proper printer.

Only problem with this, if you change PC, you have to go all over the network to re-install the printer on all the station, change the script step to have the new MAC address... so for one print script it's ok, but when you have hundread of them.... piss me off !!

My problem now is that since I upgrade to SBS2003 r2 last week (yes I know late update!!) I have issue with all my printers share on the server, even IP printer denied access to some user, when printing rights are open to all user.... but that's another issue.

So unless you have found an easier solution this UN path should be fix in FM12 before it's release the summer.

Thank you

JF

• 1. Re: network/local printer script issue
          philmodjunk

Another option that I sometimes use that ducks this issue is to set up a script that set's up the report, enters preview and then pauses. Continueing the script returns the user to browse mode and wherever they started from when they clicked the button. While in preview mode, users can then select print and printer setup from the file menu, pretty much the way they do with any other application that they use.

The one added detail is that they then have to deal with the "records being browsed/current record option". When I use this method, I instruct users to always specify records being browsed and limit the found set to just one record in cases where they actually need to print the current record.

• 2. Re: network/local printer script issue
            Jean-Francois

That is an option, but it's so 90's... we have more printers on the network than PC, so let the user select the printer will lead to overprint and page setup fault etc etc. We have printer with printed forms, stickers, tray assign for every forms we need... so having the user select the right place evertime we need to print ?!?! kinda old fashon !

• 3. Re: network/local printer script issue
              philmodjunk

Which is why I "sometimes use it". It's not a solution to every printer issue.