11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2013 3:25 PM by SharonCollier

Networked file access problem

SharonCollier

Title

Networked file access problem

I have several files shared using FM Server 8.  Yesterday one of the files had multiple crashes after which it appears to be "locked".  It now functions as a non-modifiable file even though it is NOT locked, and I have a full access password.  I have tried pressing "shift" when opening the file, it does not fix the issue.

If I open the original file through regular FMP on the server computer, I can edit the file and modify records.  When I open it on my client computer through FM Server, I cannot.  

How do I fix the file? 

• 1. Re: Networked file access problem
          philmodjunk

Any time a file crashes, the crash may have damaged the file. I'd run a recover on any of the files that were forced closed by a crash to check them for damage.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1.           The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
          3.           Recover does not detect all problems
          5.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          7.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

And here's a knowledgebase article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).

• 2. Re: Networked file access problem
            SharonCollier

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the help.  The file in question has already been recovered and the data imported into a cloned file.  The clone was made from a previous backup of the file that did not have these issues.  Yet when I open the new incarnation of the file on FM Server, all users have limited access, no edit capabilities regardless of their access settings (including myself with full access).  The function is the same as if the actual file was "locked", but it is not.

Now what?  I've searched through the forums for something similar to this and came up dry.  :-(

• 3. Re: Networked file access problem
              philmodjunk

The clone was made from a previous backup of the file that did not have these issues.

Are you sure that it did not have those issues?

If you temporarily host that back up copy, does it function normally?

Is importing data the ONLY thing you did with the clone before uploading it to server?

• 4. Re: Networked file access problem
                SharonCollier

Yes, I'm sure.  The clone was made from a backup that was several weeks old, and the access issues first occurred today.  

I imported the data into the clone and opened it through regular FMP to confirm it.  I created a new record to confirm create/edit capabilities, then closed FMP and hosted it.  Once hosted, the file is now non-modifiable.  The new (test) record is visible, but not modifiable.  

• 5. Re: Networked file access problem
                  philmodjunk

Yes, I'm sure.  The clone was made from a backup that was several weeks old, and the access issues first occurred today.

Sorry, but that doesn't absolutely confirm that the back up was free of this issue. While rare, damage to a file can be latent, persisting for some time before some additional change makes it apparent to users that there is an issue with the file.

I still suggest that you take the unmodified backup and temporarily host it from the server to make sure that it does not already have undetected damage to the file.

• 6. Re: Networked file access problem
                    SharonCollier

Ugh, you're right.  I hosted another empty clone made from the same backup and it has the same access issues.  The original backup file does not have access issues (when hosted), but then it crashed so obviously it is damaged as well.  I'm currently searching for an even older copy of the file unless you have another idea to try.  

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.  

• 7. Re: Networked file access problem
                      SharonCollier

Ok, new info.  I created a clone from a "years-old" backup copy and imported the current data.  It does exactly the same thing.  Opens and functions normally ON the server computer through regular FMP, then networks with limited access through FM Server.  Now what does this look like?  Do I have a setting somewhere that needs to be switched?  What am I missing here? 

And for reference, I have 20+ other FM files that are hosted through the same FM Server that have no issues.  Help?

• 8. Re: Networked file access problem
                        philmodjunk

Is this file hosted from a folder on the server that is different from the other files?

Did the crash just cause this file to close or did server itself crash? Did the whole computer system crash?

I'm wondering if there are issues with access permission settings on the folder from which the file is hosted, but those should affect all files in the same folder.

• 9. Re: Networked file access problem
                          SharonCollier

The file is hosted from the same folder on the server as the other hosted files.  

The crash took down the whole FM system.  Not the computer itself, though we did restart it to be sure that FM Server was properly restarted.  

I've checked the access permission settings on the folder, and on other files in the same folder to see if there are any differences.  I cannot see any.  No idea what is going on, but it's a problem.  This is a file that requires daily updating.  Can you think of anything else to check?  

• 10. Re: Networked file access problem
                            philmodjunk

Perhaps some utitilities can check and make sure that your hard drive and access permission settings on your server are in good shape?

• 11. Re: Networked file access problem
                              SharonCollier

Bumping this back up, still have the problem.  I've checked the hard drive  and access permission settings on the server.  All showing clean.  Anyone have anything else to try?