6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2012 10:11 AM by LaurenceLock

Networking Filemaker

LaurenceLock

Title

Networking Filemaker

We have 5 pc's running a mix of filemaker 7, 8 and 8.5 that all work from central data base.

If I get a copy of 11 will it work with what I have FM 7, 8 and 8.5

Can I downgrade a new copy of FM 11 to 8.5 if 11 will not work ?

Many thanks

• 1. Re: Networking Filemaker
          philmodjunk

It will work. All versions of FileMaker from 7 through 11 use exactly the same file format. The only thing you'll encounter is that if you add a feature new to 11 to your database, it will not work when you use the other versions to access the file. (And if you host from an older version of Pro or Server some new features cannot be added.)

• 2. Re: Networking Filemaker
            LaurenceLock

Many thanks for that

Will  6 individual filemaker liscense work on one network ?

It is not limited to 5 for any reason ?

Regards

• 3. Re: Networking Filemaker
              philmodjunk

It depends on the version and application used to host the files.

FileMaker Pro 11 can support up to 9 clients. (9 clients + 1 Host = 10)

I believe older versions supported fewer clients.

If you use FileMakerServer, of course, you can then support many more clients just 9.

• 4. Re: Networking Filemaker
                LaurenceLock

That is the plan to set the Version 11 on a stand alone PC that will be just running Filemaker and not used for anything else at all, and the other 5 user licenses will access that.

So based on your knowledge (Obviously way more than mine !) this will work with what I have ?

Many thanks for your help

Regards

• 5. Re: Networking Filemaker
                  philmodjunk

Should work with no issues. We've had a system here where we used FileMaker 11 to host up to 9 users. Finally got the boss to let me move it's files to our server for better performance, security and scheduled backups, but it worked just fine until client #10 tried to connect and got an error. (Once the boss was client #10 a few times, he let me move the files Wink)

Please note though that if you have never hosted the files over a network before, you could find differences in behavior with any parts of your system that use global fields as they will behave differently on networked systems as opposed to single user setups.

• 6. Re: Networking Filemaker
                    LaurenceLock

No problem, we already have all 5 networked and all works fine, Currently I work on the system that hosts FM and I want to get away from having to close the whole system if I have to restart my computer

Many thanks