1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 6, 2010 1:29 PM by ninja

new database: one entry per email address

marcopolo_1

Title

new database: one entry per email address

I am making a data base, I want to pull the info for the database from Apple Address book. Some of the contacts in my address book have more than one email address. I would like each email address to be it's own Entry in the new data base. For example; John Doe is listed in my Address book with a home email address and a work email address. In the new data base I would like there to be 2 listings for John Doe, one with the home email address and the other with the work email address. Bento could be used as an intermediary way to go from Address book to File Maker. I am running OS X 10.6.3, Bento 3.0.4, Filemaker Pro 11. I am a rookie. Database is not being shared.

• 1. Re: new database: one entry per email address
          ninja

Howdy marcopolo,

Cant help you with getting from Apple Address Book to FMP (I'm on PC) but it sounds like you want to do two imports and a purge.

Import1: Import the whole address book with name and Home email

Import2: Import the whole address book with name and work email

Do a find for the equal sign in the email field (this finds blanks)

Delete the found set.

Note 1: This presumes this is a one time event (but is quick enough that I'd use it once a month if needed rather than automate it)

Note 2: It seems an odd way to store the records.  Why store everyone twice?  Why not have two email fields?  And if not two fields, why not use a related email table?  If Suzie Smith gets married and is now Suzie Neidzelak, will you remember to change both records?  Why not just have one per person???