AnsweredAssumed Answered

New FileMaker User

Question asked by pastormarkfuss on Jun 20, 2014
Latest reply on Jun 20, 2014 by philmodjunk

Title

New FileMaker User

Hi to all. I am very new to FileMaker. I have been using the program for just over a month now. I am very impressed with its power and functionality. I am also impressed with the wide range of training materials that are available to help me learn the program.

As a new user I would like to ask for some input from some more experienced users. I am working on a FileMaker solution to use in my church. It will be used by me [I will be the only user] to primarily keep track of church membership. To this point I have been able to come up with a solution that I am very happy with. It is certainly not very sophisticated, but it works well for what I need. One feature that I want to add, but that is giving me trouble, is the ability to email church members from within the FileMaker solution. I have come across an excellent third-party plug-in to help me with this but I am having some issues trying to get things to work as I would like for them to work. My question here does not concern the plug-in, but rather the structure of my database solution. I want to have the ability to send an email message to an individual or a group of individuals. I want to be able to maintain a record of the email messages that I send. I also want to be able to personalize the messages when I am sending the same message to multiple recipients. With all of that in mind, here are my questions: Should I have a separate "Messages" table? If so, what would be the most logical way to relate the "Messages" table to the "Individuals" table. [The "Individuals" table is the table that I set up to store the contact information for each individual in our organization]. What is the best way to handle all of this?

At the present I have my solution setup to send email messages via the plug-in that we purchased but I do not have a separate "Messages" table, therefore, I have no record of the messages that have been sent.

I know that I could probably do the email part of things via my email client easier, but I really like the thought of integrating this into the FileMaker solution. Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Mark Fuss

Outcomes