1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2013 9:14 PM by wattmhite

New Layouts in FMP 13?

Title

New Layouts in FMP 13?

On the filemaker 13 Overview page on filmmakers website, 5 newly designed layouts are depicted.

After downloading the filemaker 13 trial, I cannot find these layouts anywhere. 

They are Inventory (black and red), Billing in Green, Assets in Blue and White, Projects, faux wood background, and contacts in blue

Thanks

• 1. Re: New Layouts in FMP 13?
          TSGal

Matthew White:

Thank you for your post.

When you select any of the five template files depicted, a pop-up window shows how the layout would display on a desktop computer, iPad, and iPhone.  When you create a new layout, you select if the layout is to be used on a Computer, a Touch Device, or for printing.  If you select a touch device, you are then prompted for iPad, iPhone 3.5 inch, iPhone 4 inch, or custom device.  Perhaps this is the confusion?

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: New Layouts in FMP 13?

When you select one of the five templates depicted, a pop up does appear - I clicked on "assets" and the blue/white/gray themed "equipment" layout appears.

How do I create this exact color scheme/layout in filemaker 13?

Thanks

• 3. Re: New Layouts in FMP 13?
              TSGal

Matthew White:

This is the Theme setting.  Once you create your Layout and are still in Layout Mode, pull down the Layouts menu and select "Change Theme...".  From the "Change Theme" window, scroll halfway down the listing of 51 themes and select "Blue".

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: New Layouts in FMP 13?

Thats incorrect.

I followed the steps above, this doesn't give me a sample Blue Layout as the one pictured, it gives me the same (different) blue theme from Filemaker 12

The top blue bar is different, the buttons are different (filemaker 13 includes the button colors gray, green and orange, whereas the blue theme from filemaker 12 just has gray buttons, 

And numerous other differences. Are you saying the filemaker Blue theme depicted in the filemaker 13 sample/advertisement doesn't actually exist in Filemaker 13 as a starter layout?

See/compare the file below with the one above.

Thanks

• 5. Re: New Layouts in FMP 13?
                  MarkScott

Matthew,

The layout depicted looks very similar to one of the new themes, "Enlightened."  The button colors, for example, look like two of the Accent Button styles for that theme, accessed through the new "Styles" tab in the inspector.  The button and field-control corners are all squared off, however, and there may be some other changes compared with the predefined theme.  

Perhaps it is showing off one of the other new features of FM13, namely the ability to define custom styles and themes.  If you're looking to replicate this look, I would start with "Enlightened" and work from there.

HTH,

Mark

• 6. Re: New Layouts in FMP 13?

Thanks Mark,

I've looked at enlightened and I agree it is the closest match however there are many differences throughout.

I think its a bit misleading of Filemaker to say "create custom business solutions looking like these 5 layouts" 

but then after a customer purchases filemaker, thinking he or she could easily start with one of those 5 layouts, then realizing no, those 5 layouts aren't available unless you start with something similar and painstakingly recreate all of the detailed elements left our or different from the depicted 5.

I think filemaker needs to rectify this situation immediately as with Filemaker 12, the starter solutions advertised were indeed starter solutions when in the program.

I really like 2 or 3 of the 5 layouts shown, but I would be very upset if I paid a good amount of money towards upgrading to filemaker 13 and finding out later those 5 layouts didn't exist.

• 7. Re: New Layouts in FMP 13?
                      TSGal

Matthew White:

The one pictured above is a Custom Theme (as shown in http://www.filemaker.com/products/whats-new.html).  I'll find the person who created the theme and send the values so you can create your own custom theme.

TSGal
                           FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: New Layouts in FMP 13?

That would be wonderful and I would really appreciate it.

Thank you so much

Matt

• 9. Re: New Layouts in FMP 13?
                          TSGal

Matthew White:

The Header fill is a Gradient with the bottom RGB colors 26, 106, 165, and the top RGB colors 56, 157, 235 .

The Body fill is a Gradient with the bottom RGB colors 238, 238, 238, and the top RGB colors 254, 254, 254.

The Footer fill is a gradient with the bottom RGB colors 221, 221, 221,. and the top RGB colors 254, 254, 254.

The top gray buttons are gradients with bottom RGB colors 190, 189, 191, and the top RGB colors 243, 243, 243.

The "Check-In" gray button is a gradient with bottom RGB colors 146, 146, 146, and the top RGB colors 203, 203, 203.

The "Review" green button is a gradient with bottom RGB colors 114, 163, 50, and the top RGB colors 146, 202, 68.

The "Depreciation" orange button is a gradient with bottom RGB colors 233, 160, 11, and the top RGB colors 251, 204, 7.

The opacity on all colors is set for 100%.  The angle for all gradients is 270 degrees.

Let me know if you need any other information.

TSGal
                               FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: New Layouts in FMP 13?

Can you email me that file, or post on the filemaker website for download?

• 11. Re: New Layouts in FMP 13?
                              TSGal

Matthew White:

I've been informed that the file with the custom theme is not available for sending out.  Let me know if you are having difficulty setting the Header, Body, Footer, or font selections.

TSGal
                                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: New Layouts in FMP 13?

I think Filemaker needs to amend the advertising to say something like: These are possibilities with the new Filemaker 13 however you will need to completely and painstakingly recreate the layouts.

I don't think its fair thats whats advertised isn't available in the actual program, further I think after you spend the amount of money for the program, for multiple users throughout our office, that you ask each customer to spend his or her time in recreating these layouts. We pay a premium for this software and its supposed to "just work" as advertised.

Out of 16 starter themes only 4 have been labeled *New, all of the other themes are the same as last years Filemaker 12, and none of these are the 5 depicted on the front page.

Even the New Filemaker Pro 13 Page (see attached) displays 2 of the 5 themes that aren't available to the basic user.

I'm not trying to be difficult, but I do think a lot of customers will be disappointed and let down that these themes aren't included as Filemaker Starter solutions and I do think Filemaker should rectify this issue

• 13. Re: New Layouts in FMP 13?
                                  MarkScott

Matthew,

With due respect, I for one, and perhaps others reading this thread, am really having trouble seeing where the website info is remotely misleading or deceptive on this issue.  The ability to create custom themes and styles with relative ease is one of the marquee features of this release, and is rightly and accurately advertised as such.  The 51 (not 16, btw) "predefined" themes—including the 11 new ones, as well as updates to the other 40 to add new object styles—are really just jumping off points.  Some users will find exactly what they're looking for among those 51; many others will decide to start with one of those and then modify its styles, as well as create new ones, to meet their needs.  That's exactly what FileMaker has always been: a "platform" for building data-driven software more easily and quickly than anything else (that I'm aware of) out there.  I'm not seeing anything in the screenshot you posted, or elsewhere on the FileMaker website, that even remotely implies that this exact layout is included in the package.*  Luckily, with the modifications that TSGal thoughtfully sought out and posted for you, and 15 minutes or so of customizing the object styles already built into the "Enlightened" theme, you can get there immensely quicker than you could have even a day ago (FM 12 not having allowed custom theme or style creation).

HTH,

Mark

*P.S. Looking over the website, I do see this same layout shown three places: (1) on the "FileMaker Platform > What's New" page, it's shown with the heading "Custom Themes," and the accompanying description "Modify and save changes to existing layout themes to match your exact business needs. Reuse your themes across other solutions, and share with your colleagues."; (2) on the "Overview" page > "Flexible design tools" tab, it's shown next to the "Styles" heading with the accompanying description "Create your own styles or customize existing styles, then save and reuse them across multiple layouts and objects. Modify a style once, and it changes everywhere."; and (3) on the "FileMaker Pro > What's New" page, it's shown highlighting the new "Upload to FileMaker Server…" toolbar button.  Again, I'm just not seeing the deception.

• 14. Re: New Layouts in FMP 13?
                                    MichaelHolden

Hi Matthew

Further to Mark Scott's comments; I also believe there is no deception.

Not trying to start WWIII or anything - just thought you might like feedback in case you're wondering if perhaps Mark is wrong as well.

I must admit, I love the colours used on that custom theme!

1 2 Previous Next