2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2010 9:49 AM by philmodjunk

New Meat

gsbilsky

Title

New Meat

I am in process of trying to decide if I want to purchase FM Pro 10.  I am a heavy access user, but want to start using my MacBook and get away from Windows.

I have download the Trial FM Pro 10.  Setting up seems simple and I know I will have to do some new learning language.  But I have basic questions  that will determine if I switch.  

Do I use multiple DBs or multiple table to link data?

How can I quickly switch between tables?

Can I see a list of table?

Most import:  I use a SQL to update a field based on information within another table field.

i.e.   Table one has two fields.  RawData and ReportData.  RawData is info I enter to match from with field BankData from Table Two. ReportData is the way I want to see the data.

Table two has two fields.  Field One is BankData download from the Bank (exampe: 445efgt455 Target 12/1/09 adf) I want to update or Default to Table one GoodData based on linking Table One RawData extracting/matching Table Two BankData and update GoodData to match Table One ReportData.

Sample Tables

TableOne                                                          TableTwo

RawData                        ReportData                               BankData                          GoodData

HDepot                            Home Depot                     adfasfff HDepot 12/1/09adf        (Produced from TableOne ReportData)

Lowes                              Lowe's                             12/1/10 234444 Lowes adf         (Produced from TableOne ReportData)

respectfully

Gary

gshill999@verizon.net

• 1. Re: New Meat
          littledog

Hi,

I can imagine your thoughts regarding FM 10.

I must say - don't waste time and setup FM today.

Difference between FM and Access is similar like difference between OS X an Windows = you want to work (OS X) or to solve problems (Win).

The rest - including your doubts - the rest is technique. 

• 2. Re: New Meat
            philmodjunk

I have experience with both database systems so perhaps I can provide a brief transalation table to help you get started as well as answer your specific questions:

Do I use multiple DBs or multiple table to link data?

Remember that Relationships tool in Access? You have a similar tool in filemaker: Manage | Database | Relationships. Unilke MS Access, you are required to use this tool to establish all relational links to tables in the current file or tables in other files. You can look up the buttons and features in help for details in how to use this tool.

In addition, you might check out the following link for more on how the Table Occurrences you define here are used throughout filemaker:
            Table vs. Table Occurrence (Tutorial)

How can I quickly switch between tables?

What's the context of this question? Switching a layout to point to a different table or table occurrence? or some other situation...?

Can I see a list of table?

Manage | Database | Tables will list all your defined data source tables in your current file.

Manage | Database | Fields will list their field definitions.

There are also numerous dialogs that list table occurrences in drop down menus when you are selecting fields and/or table during the design process.

With your two table example, I'm not quite sure what you are trying to do. I think you want to use a single word in the BankData field such as Hdepot to match to the same text in RawData in order to use the full name in ReportData in a layout on the screen or a report. If I've got that wrong let me know.

You'd need to extract that text into a separate cacluation field. Calculation fields will be new to you as they do not exist in MS Access. Those expressions you are used to setting up in SQL expressions or as a data source for a form's text box now have to be defined as a field in a table. Using just your one line of text as an example, you could write this as a calculation field set to return text: MiddleWords ( TableTwo::BankData ; 2 ; 1 ) /* extract one word starting with the second word in the field */

Name this new field cRawData and you can link the two tables in your relationships graph like this:

TableOne::RawData = TableTwo::cRawdata

If you double click the line linking your two table occurrences here, you'll see some familiar options for how you define a relationship.

A few hints when making the transition between filemaker and Access:

1. A subform or subreport in Access is nearly the same thing as a Filemaker Portal.
            2. The recordsource for a form is defined in Filemaker by selecting a Table Occurrence from your relationships graph and then performing one kind of find operation  or another to pull up a "found set" of records. To complete the analogy to a recordsource, you'd then sort your records. In Access you have to use VB code to modify a form's record set. In filemaker, you can alter foundsets and sort orders by selecting options from the Records menu or via a script.
            3. Oh yeah, and if you do decide to purchase filemaker, get the advanced version if you can possibly swing the extra $$. Otherwise, you'll get very homesick for the Debugger that comes as a standard feature in MS Access--but is only available in the advanced version in Filemaker.