5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2013 11:26 AM by JoeMcginnis

New page when field name changes

JoeMcginnis

Title

New page when field name changes

I'm sure this is simple but I cannot figure it out. When printing, I'd like to start a new page every time the contents of a particular field changes (i.e., from A to B). Help! --JmackG

• 1. Re: New page when field name changes
          philmodjunk

Are your records grouped by the value in this field by sorting the records so get records that look like this?

Page 1
               A
               A
               A

Page 2
               B
               B

Page 3
               C

If so, you can add a sub summary layout part and select this field as the "when sorted by" field. You can make this part just a pixel or two tall if you do not need to put data in it.

You can then select either "page break after every [1] occurrence" or Page break before every occurrence to get a page break for each group of records.

• 2. Re: New page when field name changes
            JoeMcginnis

Thank you for your response! I've attached a screenshot of the first three fields in the database. I want to start a new page each time the character in "Cat" changes.

Mack

• 3. Re: New page when field name changes
              JoeMcginnis

Thank you PhilModJunk -- it works perfectly! Hope sometime I can do something that makes your day as much better as you did mine.

Mack

• 4. Re: New page when field name changes
                philmodjunk

It seems unlikely that this is a random order to your records. What is the logic to the order shown?

Order in which the records were created?

Sorted by some other field?

I'm thinking that my method may still work with the correctly specified sort order. The alternative is to "force" it with a script that must be run just before printing/previewing/saving as PDF each time--a delay best avoided if possible.

• 5. Re: New page when field name changes
                  JoeMcginnis

Yes, that was the unsorted database. When sorted, it breaks out exactly as I'd liked. Thank you!

Mack