1 2 Previous Next 26 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2010 12:51 PM by sackling

New record  within a new record?

sackling

Title

New record  within a new record?

I'm wondering how to achieve this.

I have my layout made so that when a product is selected it displays all the materials that are needed to make said product.

I need to use this however to make order sheets of numerous products. Once I enter one product thats it for the entry and its onto the next "page"

I was wondering if there is a way to make a button to insert another selection box to select another product until there are no more left to enter. I am not sure if this is possible to do or not?

• 1. Re: New record  within a new record?
          philmodjunk

I could be wrong, but this sounds like something you might do with a portal. Are you familiar with those?

• 2. Re: New record  within a new record?
            sackling

I thought portals were what I was using to get data from another table. Maybe I was wrong though?

• 3. Re: New record  within a new record?
              sackling

I think actually all that needs to be done is to perform a search of various style numbers and then just have it display all the information in list view.

the only problem I have with that right now is that I cannot seem to search for multiple values at once?

• 4. Re: New record  within a new record?
                sackling

Sorry for cluttering here but I could just make these new entries and then display them all in list view and that works perfectly.

However the next time I want to do this again the layout will be filled with all the info I typed last time so I'm not sure if this is the right procedure?

• 5. Re: New record  within a new record?
                  philmodjunk

I'm not sure either from your descriptions.

It sounded like you might be filling in multiple items in an invoice or similar process which is why I suggested a portal.

To find multiple items, you can do the following either by hand or in a script:

Enter find mode

Enter the name of the first item

Create a new "request"

Enter the item of the next item

Create a new "request"

Enter the name of the third item

When all names have been entered as search criteria perform the find and you will find all of them.

• 6. Re: New record  within a new record?
                    sackling

how does one create a new request? I only know how to create a new find entirely which erases the last finds results

• 7. Re: New record  within a new record?
                      philmodjunk

While in find mode, new record changes into new request. While in find mode, pull down the Requests menu and select this option or press ctrl-N (windows).

• 8. Re: New record  within a new record?
                        sackling

that works perfectly. The only thing I am not sure of is that these orders might need to be saved when "entered." I am not sure if this is the proper way to use a database?

How is this normally done? Or do you need more information from me?

• 9. Re: New record  within a new record?
                          philmodjunk

Yes, I need more information. Can you walk me through a step by step process of what you want to do?

• 10. Re: New record  within a new record?
                            sackling

Ok I will do my best. Basically this is for a jewelry company. To make a necklace different amounts of different kind of stones need to be ordered.

The issue was that it would take really long to find out first of all how many stones the necklace needed and of which type. and then took a long time to enter all the information in an excel spreadhsheet.

So the way I have the database setup is as follows (this is all thanks to  mr vodka in he other post I made a couple days ago):

1 table called Items with fields PK Item ID, Item, Description

1 table called materials with fields PK Material ID, Stone, Shape, Size, Cost per stone etc.

1 table called parts which I believe is called a join table with fields FK Item ID, FK material ID and QTY

No I made a 4th table called invoice. This table lets you enter an item ID and the displays all the materials that are required to make said item.

Now I can either just enter the item numbers I need and go into list view and see all the products along with the materials needed OR I could have all the productts entered before hand and just do a search for each item and display them all in list mode.

But I am not sure if either is the best way to do this as it will not keep track of the entire order.. On the other hand I am not sure keeping track of the order is something that is done with databases or filemaker..

• 11. Re: New record  within a new record?
                              philmodjunk

This is exactly the kind of problem a database can be designed to handle. This sounds like a "kit" type invoicing problem where the customer buys several items, but you want the invoice to list all the components that make up each item. Is that correct or do you want the invoice to just list the items?

An invoice with Components listed might list them like this:

Item #123 Gold Necklace w/diamonds $3,000.00

234 0.4 carat diamonds, 3, $2000.00

456 14k Gold Chain, 1 , $1000.00

Item #8910 Platinum Ring w/Saphire $500.00

217 1 carat saphire, 1 , $300.00

354 Ring , 1, $200.00

An Invoice without the components might list the same items like this:

Item #123 Gold Necklace w/diamonds $3,000.00

Item #8910 Platinum Ring w/Saphire $500.00

Both invoices would have a total invoice value, taxes, and customer information as well.

Which do you need to see? or perhaps something different?

• 12. Re: New record  within a new record?
                                sackling

Yes it is very much like the kit type invoice you describe the only difference is that there are a few more fields with information like price per stone, stone size, and carats per stone listed.

• 13. Re: New record  within a new record?
                                  philmodjunk

Listing the parts along with the items they are part of does add a bit of extra complexity. You may need several more tables--depending on how your business operates.

I am correct that this is for a sales invoice?

Are the jewelry items one of a kind or does a record in items identify a specific piece of jewelry for which you have multiple identical pieces?

• 14. Re: New record  within a new record?
                                    sackling

I already have it listing the parts once I enter the product number though which is how I need it here is an image of how it is showing up in list view. All I have entered is the FK item ID

So my question is how would I "save" a report like this? I will also like to be adding totals according to how much it is per stone and qty used but that I will work on later.

1 2 Previous Next