AnsweredAssumed Answered

New School, New Ways, New Database, Old Teacher!

Question asked by ChatAtkins on Feb 6, 2012
Latest reply on Feb 8, 2012 by ChatAtkins

Title

New School, New Ways, New Database, Old Teacher!

Hi There,

This is my first time here and yes I am a newbie.  Our school wants to develop a program where we put everything about our classes on to a database.  I opened my big mouth and suggested we use Filemaker Pro which I have.

Everyone liked the idea and the Principal told me to develop a prototype.

Here is the setup that I think will work but I'm not sure how to connect the dots or set up the relationships:

Students Table

StudID (Primary Key)

fname

lname

etc.

Classroom Table

ClassID (Primary Key)

ClassNo

ClassSubject

Etc.

I understand that because a Student can have many Classes and a Classroom can have many students I need to have a table in between that relates to both as in:

Stud_Class Table

Stud_ClassID (Primary Key)

fk_StudID (Foreign Key to Student Table)

fk_ClassID (Foreign Key to Classroom Table)

However, here is where I am stuck, a Class can have one or more Sections AND each Section has to have a Daily Report associated with it.  What I came up with is this:

Section Table

SecID (Primary Key)

SectionName

SectionNo

SectionLength

etc.

Daily Report Table

DailyReportID (Primary Key)

DailyRptDate

DailyRptTeacher

etc.

I’m not sure where to relate the Daily Report Table.  Should it be related directly to the Section Table?  Since the Section Table is only providing information about the part of the Course Table.

OR should I relate the Daily Report Table to the Section Table and relate the Section Table to the Course Table? 

Sorry for the long post, but I'm really stuck and any help would be greatly appreciated,

Chris

Outcomes