2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2014 9:10 AM by philmodjunk

New Time log dBase

kentanderson

Title

New Time log dBase

Im gonna make this a three part question. Im adding a few new tables to my current dBase.  I currently have a Jobs table, client table, and proposal table.  Im adding Employee Table, and Time Log table.  From what i've learned on here my first instinct is to create a PK for both of these tables.  The employee table is basic employee id, Alias, First, and Last.  The Time Log table fields are Time log Id, Employee id, Date, Job Number, and time spent.  I created a relation ship between the two using employee Id. (Not sure if this is going to be the best relationship or not)

Part 1. I need a Form that will allow the user to select a employee, and add multiple records to the Time log table.  ( I was thinking maybe a form based on employee, with a portal showing Time log, and allowing creation between the relationship.) Is this the best way????? Im up for ideas.

Part 2. The main thing this time log dBase is going to be used for is printing weekly reports, for employees to show which jobs  they worked on for the previous week. The other main purpose it Job reports.  For example I would print a report for Job Number 13-1078, and want to see all the employees that worked on the job and there time. ( Im telling you this because im not sure my relationship will work well for this type of report.)

Part 3. should I tie the job number field in with the job number field form my Job number table??  Maybe for easier data entry??

Thank you for your patience. 

• 1. Re: New Time log dBase
          TKnTexas

You could enter time from the Employee Table via a portal.  You could enter in a portal on Jobs Table.  The time could be entered directly to the Time Table.  What work flow makes the most sense for you.  The record would need an identifier to summarize by Job.  Entering from a portal would have that.  You would need a drop down I think for Jobs to do it from other tables.

• 2. Re: New Time log dBase
            philmodjunk

Part 2 describes a summary report. Here's a tutorial on them: Creating Filemaker Pro summary reports--Tutorial

Part 3: Can't tell from the data described. You can certainly add that link if you need to. It would allow you to show information from the Job table on the layout where you are logging the employee's hours. Whether that is useful to you or not is your call.