5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2013 2:34 PM by philmodjunk

New to File Maker need help with exporting lists

JoshSwedberg

Title

New to File Maker need help with exporting lists

Hello, 

I am trying to export a list of contact names with emails and amount donated. I can make a list with the contact information but I can't get the donations to come up. How can I had a donations field to the lists I want to export? 

Thanks

• 1. Re: New to File Maker need help with exporting lists
          RickWhitelaw

What are you exporting to?

• 2. Re: New to File Maker need help with exporting lists
            JoshSwedberg

I am going to export to either a comma seperated file or an excel. I am then going to take that and use it with a email mailing system (Constant Contact)

• 3. Re: New to File Maker need help with exporting lists
              philmodjunk

You are aware that you can email data like this directly from FileMaker?

How is your donations data stored in the database? is it stored in a table of donations linked in a relationship to your donors? And what relationship did you use?

• 4. Re: New to File Maker need help with exporting lists
                JoshSwedberg

No I was not aware, and I don't exactly know how to answer your other question.

Basically, I understand how to find contacts from the database, make a new list with them, and then export into another file, but I need to add donation information to that new list (only names, email, occcupation, etc comes up on the contact list)

The donations are stored in a table connected to the individuals contact information, that's about as specific as I can get with my limited knowledge of the program so far

• 5. Re: New to File Maker need help with exporting lists
                  philmodjunk

The donations are stored in a table connected to the individuals contact information, that's about as specific as I can get with my limited knowledge of the program so far

That comes very close to answering my "other question". When you go to Manage | Database | Relationships, you should find a table occurrence "box" for each of these tables and a line connecting one or more fields in donor with one or more fields in donations. (And they may not be named "Donors and Donations".)

What I need to know is what fields are thus linked and what kind of fields they are.

Ideally, you should find something like this (though the table and field names may be different):

Donors------<Donations

And the fields connected by that line (called the match fields) would be:

Donors::__pkDonorID = Donations::_fkDonorID

Where __pkDonorID would be an auto-entered serial number that links to a number field (no auto-enter on it) called _fkDonorID

I am looking for that info because it will tell me what kind of relationship is involved. What I have illustrated here is called a "one to many" relationship because a single Donors record can link to many donations records. From there, we can take a look at whether you want to export the total donations made by each donor, just the most recent donation or maybe the total of all donations for each donor made over a specified interval of time.

But you may have a completely different relationship than what I show here.

For more on the notation that I used here, see the first post of: Common Forum Relationship and Field Notations Explained

And you should research the Send Mail menu option and script step to learn how you can send out email directly from FileMaker. The Contacts starter solution that comes with FIleMaker 12 or the Contact Manager starter solution that comes with FileMaker 11 are files you can examine to see working examples of how this tool works.

And then there are email plug ins that can offer more email capabilities than is available just with send mail...