2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2012 1:19 PM by davidanders

New to FileMaker - Setting Up Database

BryanN

Title

New to FileMaker - Setting Up Database

All,

New to FileMaker, have been using Bento for some time.  I'll be as breif as I can while hopefully giving enough information.  I just want to get started off on the right foot.  So far, I've set up a few tables in 1 database file.

Customers (with typical customer contact information, to be used in Work Orders and future forms)

Vendors (with typical vendor contact info)

Work Orders (this has info like work order number, priority, customer(company name), customer equipment specs, equipment check in and out, loaner check in and out, tasks to be done, etc)

These are the main ones.  My struggle is this: Do I have 1 main table with lots of different layouts or is it more robust to have multiple tables that reference each other?

In practice, one employee may be the one who checks customer equipment in, which is assigned a work order number (uniqe), this would ideally create the work order record that our project managers would then go into and fill out the approitate information on work to be done, due dates, tasks, etc.  Basically 1 Work Order number could be associated with multiple equipment check ins and tasks.

What's the best way to do this?  In the future, I want to add functionality so that we can do customer quotes, work order printouts, packing slips, fax cover sheets and other non-accounting forms.

I'm at the point now where I have all of them into tables with the information that would be 'shared' input into all of them.  I'll attach a screenshot of where I'm at if it helps.