AnsweredAssumed Answered

New to FileMaker 9.0 (used Filemaker 6.0 in the past)

Question asked by itom2038 on Nov 24, 2008
Latest reply on Dec 5, 2008 by TSGal

Title

New to FileMaker 9.0 (used Filemaker 6.0 in the past)

I am looking to put together a multi-purpose Filemaker database serving a specialized unit in a municipal police agency.  This is a task force which include members of local, state and federal law enforcement agencies.  This database will only service one agency. There are 135 members assigned to this unit.

What does this entail?

Personnel Records- usual pedigree information, duty status, emergency contact information, education and training, firearms qualifications, former commands (work locations within the department) and teams assigned within this unit and dates assigned.  A photo directory will be generated on a quarterly basis listing pertinent information and call back numbers.

Equipment Issued.  A listing of equipment assigned to the Unit from the agency.  The personnel the equipment was issued to (or if it is still in house, operational, inoperable or returned to agency).  Also equipment from other agencies are assigned to us.  This must also be noted.   Equipment may be assigned and reassigned at will.  New equipment must also be recorded.

Overtime.  Overtime listing dates and tours scheduled to work and time actually worked.  The difference will be overtime recorded.  There is a dollar figure that the government reimburses the local agency for overtime incurred by each member.  A separate report must be generated for that on a monthly basis.  Report must be generated listing all personnel and overtime incurred. (Even if the overtime amount is zero.)  A report must be generated by teams assigned.  Finally a year to date overtime list must be generated listing overtime for each person month by month with a yearly final.

Vehicle Assignments:      Car information (make, license plate number etc,) personnel assigned. Vehicle return, accident listing.  Report generated regarding accidents, vehicle assignment and return sheet.

So far that’s it.  I know that this will be an arduous task but I have to get it done.  I have used filemaker 6.0 in the past to develop a separate database for personnel and overtime records.

What I heard from that:  Filemaker 6.0 has a limit on adding hours and minutes.  Yearly overtime figures easily reach 60,000 hours.  6.0 could not handle this so I  had to convert the time in whole numbers.  ½ hour was equal to .50, 15 minutes was .25, etc.  IS that the same in 9.0

I am an average Joe computer user.  My one ability is that I don’t quit.  I will keep banging away until I achieve my goal. 

I will be relying heavily on userboards to get past the rough patches.  The police department will not pay for the application to be developed but will purchase the program.  The Filemaker 6.0 version was a success however I need to step up my game to include all of the other elements listed here.

Here is what I am thinking so far:

Startup screen – password protected to give various levels of access to different people.

After the start up screen, have an introduction page with various modules and subs.

For example:  Personnel (complete personnel access)

Sub –new training

Vehicles

Equipment  etc

I know that I have not provided nearly enough information.   This is my springboard.  I would appreciate any and comments, tips and help.  I was seriously thinking about purchasing some templates from Scriptology just so that I can get a layout down.  Any feedback?

Outcomes