1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 24, 2009 11:11 AM by philmodjunk

New to Filemaker and having a Relationship issue

dmpjporter

Title

New to Filemaker and having a Relationship issue

First, my background. I am using Filemaker Pro 10 Advanced on Windows Vista and Snow Leopard. I am fairly new to Filemaker in that I have created some simple databases and I have worked with Access in the past.

Now for my issue. I am trying to create a database to include the following: clients, orders and expenses along with a few other things but I have that part figured out. The clients table is linked with the orders table, since every order will have a client. The expenses table is not linked to a client because the expense may occur with or without a client. Therefore, I would like to create a financial summary of both orders (which would be income), along with the expenses. I have figured out the summary fields and have gotten those to work. The problem is in displaying the data on a layout, I cannot get the data from both the orders and expenses tables to show and I believe it is a relationship problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dave

• 1. Re: New to Filemaker and having a Relationship issue
          philmodjunk

Is this similar to the report you want?

Order1

Order2

Order3

Total Income

Expense1

Expense2

Expense3

Total Expenses

Net gain/loss

If so, then you'll have trouble doing this in Filemaker without restructuring your tables. If you restructure your tables so that income and expenses are recorded in the same table, it'll be much easier to generate the above report.