1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 5, 2011 9:48 AM by philmodjunk

New to FIlemaker Development - Joining two records in many to many relationship

BrennanMurphy

Title

New to FIlemaker Development - Joining two records in many to many relationship

Hey,

So I'm new to setting up filemaker databases but I have been using them for a few year. I tried to find an answer for my question, but I haven't had much luck.

What I'm trying to do is we are creating a database to manage volunteers at one of the events we put on. The event usually has around 400 volunteers and about 300 volunteer shifts. In the current database I have three tables: volunteers, shifts and a join table. So far I'm having no problems with the database. Volunteers can be assigned to multiple shifts and shifts have different requirements for how many volunteers the shifts need.

Right now to assign a volunteer to a shift, I look at the detailed information on that volunteer where I have placed a portal for the join table. To assign that volunteer to a shift I have to know to shift ID and I type that in a new portal row. It works the other way around where I can type the volunteer ID into a portal on the shift detailed information screen and that volunteer will be added to the shift.

While this works for me, in the future many people will be using this database and I want them to have a quicker way to assign volunteers to a shift. What I want to do is have a button where when you click on it, a new window will pop up and you can select a shift for the volunteer. Once you select that shift, the window will close and the shift will be entered into the portal automatically. I have seen this done with another database I used in the past.

I'm not sure if I am fully describing what I want, but hopefully you get the idea. I sure the answer for this is out there, but if someone could point me in the right direction that would be fantastic.

Thanks

• 1. Re: New to FIlemaker Development - Joining two records in many to many relationship
          philmodjunk

While a pop up window can be set up for this, you can also just format your Shift ID field with a drop down list that displays the ShiftID and also additional information such as the name or description of the shift. The user selects by this additional information, but the drop down list enters the ID number to establish the relationship. This approach doesn't require any shifting so it's simpler to implement than what you describe.

On the other hand, the more values in your value list, the more unwieldy this approach becomes. You can "trim down" your value lists by implementing a conditional value list where you first select a category and then you select a shift from a value list that lists only shifts from that category or you go ahead and set up an enhanced value list approach which can then definitely be set up with a pop up window like you describe here.