2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2014 9:56 PM by davidanders

New to FileMaker Pro

grath

Title

New to FileMaker Pro

I just started a new job and I will be managing an information system which is filemaker based. I have a Microsoft background in Information systems(visual studio as development platform and SQL Server as the database). I'm looking for something that could show similarities and differences. I'm also looking for a way to view all the tables I have in the database; rather than just looking at the tables that relate to that file. This would help me in my training a great deal and would be greatly appreciated. 

• 1. Re: New to FileMaker Pro
          philmodjunk

I'm also looking for a way to view all the tables I have in the database; rather than just looking at the tables that relate to that file.

While it's possible to do otherwise, in most cases, all the tables in the file and all the tables in the database are one and the same.

You may find that this link his a helpful starting point, though there are parts that you can probably just skim given your background: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/filemaker-training-series/id787527886?mt=11

The big thing to keep in mind is that FileMaker is NOT a SQL driven database system. With your background, you'll find yourself reaching for a familiar SQL based tool for working with the database only to find that FileMaker uses a completely different method to produce the same result.

And while FileMaker 12 and 13 do offer a function that uses SQL queries: ExecuteSQL, you'll find that it can only be used in very limited circumstances compared to what you are used to doing with SQL.

• 2. Re: New to FileMaker Pro
            davidanders

The first 5 links may be useful...  the other twenty, maybe not?

http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/f6ed4be796?commentId=222931#222931