AnsweredAssumed Answered

New to FileMaker Pro but not to Databases

Question asked by drmacintosh on Oct 25, 2010
Latest reply on Oct 25, 2010 by davidanders

Title

New to FileMaker Pro but not to Databases

Hello to all in this forum.  I am venturing into FileMaker Pro 11/Advanced 11 for the first time.  I am marginally familiar with FileMaker from back in the day 1989 when I got my first computer an Apple Macintosh Plus and FileMaker II was around.  Then approximately 4 years later I received a degree in Computer Science- Information Technology where I first learned databases with Ashton-Tate's Dbase II, Dbase III+ & Dbase IV all for DOS & dabbled in FoxBase's FoxPro for DOS & then Microsoft FoxPro for Macintosh.  When I got into this field databases were pretty much all Flat File as compared to today where they are all Relational.  It has been roughly 17 years ago since I last worked with databases.  I also have all of the instructor's projects in still pretty much Dbase II/III+/IV format on 5.25"/3.5" low-density floppy diskettes.  Knowing that a lot has changed in 17 years I have downloaded the current trial version of FileMaker Pro 11 for Macintosh, purchased the FileMaker Training Series for FileMaker 11 Book/DVD, went through the included tutorial, am reading the FileMaker Pro 9 Bible & finally browsing the website.  Here is my question, what can I expect when getting back into databases?  Is there anything learnt 17 years ago still applicable today?  Also about the possibility of getting/importing/transferring all of these Dbase files into FileMaker?  Any advice would be much appreciated.

Specify_Excel_Data.png

Outcomes